Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Home Care and Assisted Living in MD

Shopon
Shopon Member Posts: 3
First Comment

My wife diagnosed with moderate AZ in 2019 at the age of 55. I am the only caregiver for last 40 months. Cleaning, Bathing, Feeding, Exercise etc All done by me. Try to do everything to keep her happy. I am very tired and lonely now. Only relieve I get when cry to GOD at night by myself.

She does not qualify Medicaid. Any advice to get a supplement insurance to cover home care (now) or assisted living care (in near future). Financially I can not afford in full at this moment. I do not have long term care insurance. Should I move another state which might be better than MD? I am so lost. 

Comments

• toolbeltexpert
    toolbeltexpert Member Posts: 1,583
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    Shopon welcome to the forum. I don't believe that there are any supplements that cover mc. Medicaid is the only choice. If you haven't seen an cela they would be the biggest help getting things in order.
  • Rescue mom
    Rescue mom Member Posts: 988
    500 Comments Fourth Anniversary 5 Likes

Did an elder care attorney (CELA) in your state tell you that you can’t qualify for Medicaid? The rules and regs vary state to state, and change often, even in the same state.. it takes an expert attorney.

Since she’s 55, what about  Social Security disability? 

Most of what you hear via “grapevine” about Medicaid qualifying is often not correct. But attorneys who specialize in Medicaid know “tricks of the trade” and loopholes and other ways to qualify that you may not know about, things that aren’t well-known except for experts.

I have talked to attorneys about Medicaid, as have most in my support groups. We have all been surprised to find it’s very different, and not as onerous, as we’d heard. We would have never known without an attorney helping.

Getting any other kind of good “insurance” to help with care is extremely difficult after the diagnosis. I’d say pretty much impossible for the kind of care help it sounds like you need, but…there could be an exception somewhere.

Be very careful about moving to another state for services. Many are worse than where your are.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more