Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

update on accusations and geri psychiatrist

caberr
caberr Member Posts: 211
Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments
I have posted in the past that DH was accusing me of being unfaithful, getting very agitated, mad and hallucinating,  This is not him and I never ever thought he would be like that.  He was always happy, joking and laughing. 
Thursday he had a very bad episode.  He was getting violent with a neighbor.  Another neighbor came down to help.  The 2 of them could not calm him down.  I ended up calling 911 which I really never wanted to do but saw no other choice.  I was afraid he would hurt himself or someone else.

He was brought to the hospital.  They are keeping him in a room with only a bed and tv. There are windows in the room so the security guards can keep an eye on him. He can't have any clothes from home so has been in a johnny the past 3 days.  He was calmer yesterday but very confused.  He remembers the police and is very sad about it. 

Yesterday we had a consultation with a geri psychologist.  He was put on respridone.  If he does well on that they may release him today.  I believe they are looking for a bed in a geri psych ward. I know it is too soon to take him home.  

He has gone down hill so fast in the past month.  He's been telling me he is dying because his brain is broken.  He is aware that he is sick.  I look into his eyes and I don't see him anymore. This is breaking my heart.  I am taking it one day at a time and praying for the best for him.  

Comments

• ButterflyWings
    ButterflyWings Member Posts: 1,752
    500 Likes Fifth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Insightfuls Reactions

(((Caberr))) - Thanks for updating us. Sending you strength and I hope you can grab a bit of rest while he is being treated. You had no choice and at least you both are safe at this point. I responded to your other thread, and was one of several suggesting it sounds like an urgent med adjustment is needed. This seems likely to be the outcome of what has transpired, so that is a good thing. Keep your chin up!

One last thought: since this is new in the last month, did/can they check him for a UTI with culture?

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    I echo what BW had to say. And I hope they can get things straightened out soon for both of your sakes.
  • M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,722
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

You have my deepest sympathy Caberr, this is similar to what we went through.  At least we got to the hospital without having to be in the back of the squad car.

He does need more time to stabilize, you certainly can't bring him home like this--if at all.  This is the time to think hard about the MC placement.

At least you have your geriatric psychiatrist on board, if it is someone he can also see as an outpatient.  Hope they are good about communicating with you.

• Lynne D
    Lynne D Member Posts: 276
    100 Comments Second Anniversary
    What a struggle you have been through. Your intervention sounds appropriate and I hope the new meds help. Stay strong! Maybe try to enjoy some peaceful moments to yourself while he is in hospital?
  • JoseyWales
    JoseyWales Member Posts: 602
    Eighth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 25 Likes

(((caberr)))  I'm so sorry you and your DH are going through this. It sounds so similar to what many of us have been through. At least here you're not alone. Please share as you feel comfortable, lots of others who know more about what you're going through. 

I'm going to guess that it's probably been much worse at your house than you've even shared here. At least that's what it was like for me. The highs and lows were extreme. I always felt like I could handle it when things were going well, but I can't tell you how much better I'm able to think now that DH has been placed. 

• toolbeltexpert
    toolbeltexpert Member Posts: 1,583
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    Caberr we never no what is gonna happen, I think this could be good for him to have a through exam. I am sure this is not how you thought it would happen and I can certainly feel your pain.  Sending out those hugs that we all need.
  • loveskitties
    loveskitties Member Posts: 1,078
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions

So very sorry that you find yourself in this situation, and that your DH has memory of what happened...I am certain that his actions are confusing to him as well.

I hope that the doc can get a med in place to help him.

May you both have best outcome possible with this situation.

p.s.  you are also fortunate to have good neighbors to try to help.

• Jeff86
    Jeff86 Member Posts: 684
    Fourth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes
    It is so hard to see our loved ones decline and turn into somebodies they never were.   

I am glad your DH is getting the medical care he now needs.   This will take time.  My heart goes out to you.
  • Ernie123
    Ernie123 Member Posts: 152
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Comments 5 Care Reactions 5 Insightfuls Reactions

Caberr: so sorry to read your story. Risperidone was prescribed for my wife three years ago when she became delusional and violent with me. It really helped her at the time. She still had delusional thoughts but without extreme emotions. It is out of your hands. It is so hard when we realize we cannot help our loved one but must rely on others. It is good to have a geriatric psychiatrist involved. In my wife’s case he has had to adjust and change her meds as she has progressed. She is now on Olanzapine as the Risperidone lost its effectiveness after a year or so.

Keep us informed about how things go. Look after yourself. I was a basket case when my wife had to be placed in care and I needed medication myself for the first time on my life. Be sure to ask for help if you feel you are unraveling. You have been living under abnormal stress for a long time and you can only take so much.

• caberr
    caberr Member Posts: 211
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments

Thank you all for your kind words.  This has been the hardest thing I have ever done.  He is still in the hospital and waiting for a bed in a geri psych ward somewhere not even sure where yet. 

He had a bad night last night.  Didn't sleep much and was very agitated.  I was not thrilled with his nurse today.  Just some of the things she did and said I didn't agree with. But he was happy to see me and gave me a kiss.  He became agitated again after dinner.  Finally got him settled and he fell asleep.  

He is shaking and wasn't able to stand up.  I am wondering if it is the risperidone.  The night nurse said she will mention it to the dr.  

He was tested for a UTI.  He also had blood work, a ct scan of his head and a chest xray.  They were all ok.  

The police were here but he wasn't in the back of a squad car but in the ambulance.  TG for that!  

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more