Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Research study about caregiver grief

Ernie123
Ernie123 Member Posts: 152
Fifth Anniversary 100 Comments 5 Care Reactions 5 Insightfuls Reactions

For those of you who like to read academic studies, this one about recognizing and managing caregiver grief relates to what most  of us in this forum are experiencing.

https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/pdf/10.1177/1533317515602085

Comments

• Joydean
    Joydean Member Posts: 1,498
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Ernie, thank you for sharing the very informative article. I did learn from it! I try to read and study all I can about this terrible disease. 

Hope you have a good day! 

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    Ernie, no time to read it now, but definitely will later. Thanks so much for passing that on. It's something we should all know about.
  • ElaineD
    ElaineD Member Posts: 206
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions

Every change for the worse in my DHWD creates a sense of loss for me.

And I'm never 'ready' for the next change.

I no longer can reminisce with him about most of our married life (60 years in July).  But he loves to talk on the phone with his old high school buddies and talk about places and events of their shared school days in the 40's and 50's.

Mostly he seems to be 'disappearing'.  He knows he doesn't remember so he says as little as possible.   He has a rather blank expression and doesn't want to be at social events here....he can't socialize that way, in groups.

Tonight he asked when we're going down to dinner.  Dinner isn't served here on Sunday, only lunch.  But he doesn't remember that nor does he remember what day it is.  He asks every single Sunday.  And every time I'm surprised.  

He's only in the middle of the early part of Vascular dementia...which runs in his family.  

And he can do lot of things (like the laundry and the dishes).  But I guess I have 'anticipatory grief'....knowing that this is only going in one direction.

I'm scared and sad.  This forum is a LIFE SAVER for me.   I'm not alone.

And our senior living community has MC right on our campus.  And fabulous staff that take amazing care of all us.  Right now we're in Independent living, and DH is completely mobile and able to care for everything, and even still drives.   And HE is my caretaker. But I still wonder what's next?

ElaineD

• ​fesk
    ​fesk Member Posts: 444
    Legacy Membership 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes
    Thank you for the link. I'll definitely be reading it. I know I struggle with this.
  • saltom
    saltom Member Posts: 126
    100 Comments First Anniversary
    Thanks so much for posting this.  In addition to the Alz. my DH has suffered from OCD, severe anxiety and dementia since he was about 10 years old.  For several years I attended a NAMI family/caregiver support group that in may ways parallels ALZ.org. The caregiver grieving is relevant to both.  I could have used this information a long time ago.
  • Pat6177
    Pat6177 Member Posts: 442
    100 Likes Third Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions
    Ernie, I don’t know that I like reading academic articles but the material is certainly relevant. I’ve been unsettled lately and am realizing that much of it is grief and sorrow. Thanks for the article. I got a few ideas and bookmarked the article so I can reread it as this process continues. Thanks!
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more