Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

New to the group(5)

Bubbe
Bubbe Member Posts: 4
First Anniversary First Comment

I just need to vent- In addition to ALZ, he is also in stage 4 kidney disease and a diabetic. My husband seems to be rapidly declining and has started giving me the silent treatment for some ridiculous things. In over 50 years he has NEVER stopped talking to me. This is extremely frustrating. We were supposed to fly up for a family wedding and decided not to have him go. I will be able to enjoy the weekend full of activities without having to worry that he is ok. 

My husband never took care of himself, refusing to watch his diet (his family all were diabetics) or excersicing. He is an alcholic and has been sober for 10 years. My MIL always blamed me for "allowing" him to drink, I did not encourage or enable it.

My teaching part time in a preschool gives me a couple of hours a day of escape and replenishing my heart loving and helping children.

Thank you for letting me vent...

Bubbe

Comments

• JDancer
    JDancer Member Posts: 454
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments
    Going to the wedding alone sounds like a nice break, I'm sure you've earned it. This disease takes a heavy toll on caregivers. Who will provide care while you're gone? I'm looking for ideas so I, too, can get away.
  • toolbeltexpert
    toolbeltexpert Member Posts: 1,583
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    Bubbe welcome to the forum. Feel free to vent, we all need a sounding board. I believe like others that was a good choice leaving dh home and it sounds like children are a blessing to you. For me I love the sound of children out at recess. So good to her your dh is sober, that would really complicate his Altzhiemers. And going silent can be another part of Altzhiemers. Keep posting
  • Bubbe
    At this point can still stay by himself. We are in a townhome development with awesome neighbors several are nurses. They will keep an eye out and I can lock the house up from my phone.
  • Bubbe
    Thank you!
  • Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    Bubbe wrote:

My husband seems to be rapidly declining and has started giving me the silent treatment for some ridiculous things. In over 50 years he has NEVER stopped talking to me. 

PWDs gradually lose the ability to talk.  You will have to become alert to his non-verbal signs.

Iris
  • JDancer
    JDancer Member Posts: 454
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

Based on your first post, leaving your LO alone doesn't really seem safe to me. Even without dementia, diabetics can have medical emergencies. Please consider having someone stay with him, or make sure there are scheduled check ins. Your get away will be much more relaxing if you don't have to worry about what's happening at home.

Is he on dialysis?

I apologize for unwanted advice, if you only needed to vent.

• CStrope
    CStrope Member Posts: 487
    100 Care Reactions Third Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions
    I am headed to an out of state wedding by myself this weekend too!  I've been looking forward to it for months.  My daughter is coming to dad-sit

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more