Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

AlzAssoc Annual report

jfkoc
jfkoc Member Posts: 3,768
Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

Comments

• toolbeltexpert
    toolbeltexpert Member Posts: 1,583
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

I didn't think this report was clear. It shows what looks like a financial sheet with numbers so low I choked. Then they have a list of corporate donors, starting at a million dollar and below. To me something isn't being shown, so I looked up the tax form 990 that non profits file.

Below is a link to the tax form 990 which is a comprehensive report of how the money is spent. You might be surprised.

https://www.alz.org/about/finances/irs-information-returns-form-990

Please please don't beat me up for wanting to see where the money goes, we are talking about almost a half billion dollars. At least I can understand where the money goes, wish I could understand where our trillions of dollars go in government.

• Bill_2001
    Bill_2001 Member Posts: 114
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Likes 100 Care Reactions 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Thank you for the link. I appreciate the transparency of this report. By the way, for anyone who missed this fact, the figures shown on the financial reports are in thousands. So, $498,000 shown means $498,000 thousands, or $498 million. (!)

I appreciate all that the association does, for something that is basically hopeless. Sorry for the pessimism, but I don't see a cure coming in the next century, let alone soon enough to help my dear wife, or even to help ME with her. My days and nights are miserable and it never ends.

All of the feel-good events, the bike rides, the Longest Day activities, raise money and awareness, but none of that helps me at 2AM when I am up dealing with my wife with dementia when I should be sleeping and rested for work the next day. I work full time and take care of my dear wife. Almost seven years in and nothing changes.

The help line has provided me with someone to talk to occasionally, and I usually receive advice to place my wife in memory care. And the money is going to come from...??!?!

I know the association does the best that it can, but I really wish that there was real, tangible HELP for us caregivers that doesn't cost 10K per month. SIGH.

• jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,768
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    Thanks....I too was left feeling a bit shortchanged with the annual report but had no idea how to drill deeper....
  • toolbeltexpert
    toolbeltexpert Member Posts: 1,583
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    jfkoc wrote:
    Thanks....I too was left feeling a bit shortchanged with the annual report but had no idea how to drill deeper....
    Jfkoc I used to work for a non profit and was familiar with the reporting.
    There were times we went over a month without pay. The insurance they provided was a catastrophic plan I couldn't afford to use. I gave 6 months notice when I left and asked them to drop my insurance so I could buy my dw hearing aides,3200$. And she got them. 

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more