Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Ct results

Just wondering if any of the medical folks have any opinions on what this might mean, is it a common result.

I had to do the run about to get the results. Doctors office didn't  have it, went to hospital and used the dpoa to get the results of course that person wasn't on location it it took 30 minutes to get it. There were no masses and no infractions. This was the only note I saw that might mean something.

there is cerebral volume loss and nonspecific supratentorial white matter hypoattenuation

Comments

• Quilting brings calm
    Quilting brings calm Member Posts: 2,408
    500 Likes 1000 Comments Fourth Anniversary 250 Insightfuls Reactions

The volume loss could be ‘normal for her age’ or ‘higher than normal for her age’.  The answer to that is what’s important.  That part means her brain is shrinking and although some loss is normal as we age, dementia patients have a higher than normal  volume loss. 

The second part is discussing the amount of white matter in a specific area of the brain.  I tried to understand which area by googling, but I didn’t quite understand it.  White matter disease is a term often used.  Someone else here can probably discuss it better  

• spirit97x3
    spirit97x3 Member Posts: 7
    First Comment First Anniversary
    Toolbeltexpert; was same thing they told me 4 years ago after my wife's ct scan. Worse thing at time no one could tell me what it was. Seems the most of the doctors here don't really know much about Alzheimer's and what to do. Most I have learned by googling the info for last 4 years. When they found it, she was in stage 3 by then and year later and 3 trips to er for infections she went straight to stage 6 and they still couldn't help much. I pretty much gave up on getting info from them. Now we're at stage 6E and waiting for 7 to kick in.
  • Marta
    Marta Member Posts: 694
    Legacy Membership 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions

No infarctions means no dead areas in the brain, as from strokes.

Supratentorial means above the tentorium, which is the bony shelf inside the skull on which the cerebral hemispheres lie.  The brain stem lies below the tentorium. Those white matter changes are pretty common, and, as the report stated, non-specific.

Basically, the CT ruled out a bunch of causes of cognitive impairments, but it cannot diagnose dementia - that is done through neuropsych testing.  

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,722
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions
    TBE it's just what it says, nonspecific changes.  not normal, but not diagnostic either, probably just consistent with a dementia diagnosis.  Unfortunately imaging is rarely diagnostic.  It helps more for what it rules out--tumors, big strokes, hydrocephalus (enlargement of the fluid ventricles).  So it accomplished that much at least.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more