Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

cell phone provider?

Scooterr
Scooterr Member Posts: 168
100 Comments Second Anniversary 5 Likes
Has anyone tried or uses Consumer Cellular as a cellphone provider. If so is it good or bad? I'm currently with AT&T and our monthly bill just went up to the point I'm fed up. I'm a AARP member and they are always advertising it. I've got to find another provider here in OK. Please let me know any suggestions.

Comments

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    I know T-Mobile has a new(er) plan that is cheap. I can't vouch for it, but I use T-Mobile through our daughter's account, and no problems with it. Here's a link if you want to copy and paste. https://www.t-mobile.com/news/offers/new-connect-by-t-mobile-plans . If you have a family member who has a plan with them or someone else, they can probably add a line for you for around $20.00 a month. Just be aware that not all sim cards work with their provider.
  • toolbeltexpert
    toolbeltexpert Member Posts: 1,583
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    Scooterr I can't help with consumer cellular, I use tracfone, my cell and dw cell, 19 and change a month. I get 100 minutes 100 text and a 100mb. I didn't text at first but now all my info comes in a text. So every now and then I buy a gig and 1000 text for 15 $. My phone is 5g hers is 4g. I got this plan a long while ago when tracfone still had triple minutes, it also triple the service date. So I have 3 or 4 years in advance. You can buy a phone or use the one you have. I bought one that I knew would use verizons towers. Att does work here. And sometimes Verizon is iffy.
  • Vitruvius
    Vitruvius Member Posts: 323
    100 Care Reactions Third Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions
    I have two phones. One is with Mint, 4GB a month unlimited talk and text for $15 a month. 
    The other phone is rarely used I had ported my landline number to it. 100 minutes, 100 texts, 100MB a month for $2.50 a month, yup, just $30 a year. 
  • Stuck in the middle
    Stuck in the middle Member Posts: 1,167
    1000 Comments Fifth Anniversary 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes
    I have been happy with Consumer Cellular for several years.  I had T Mobile but it had no coverage in my present house so I switched to CC.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • jmlarue
    jmlarue Member Posts: 511
    I am currently T-Mobile on their 55+ Magenta phone plan (unlimited data) for a flat $35 /mo. I think they're running a special right now for an Apple 13 phone that ends up free with 24 mo. bill credits. If you need a new phone with the upgrade to 5G and don't mind the 24 month obligation, it's probably the best bang for your buck right now. 
    Have also had Consumer Cellular when I DIDN'T need a new phone. Was able to bring my old 4G Samsung Note 10 to that service with unlimited talk/text plus 2 GB data for about the same $35 /mo and chose AT&T as my carrier because I knew I had good connection there. The difference between them is the monthly charge on T-Mobile is a flat fee - they don't add on taxes, access fees and whatnot to the $35 fee. Consumer Cellular might be cheaper on the limited phone plan at about $25, but after tacking on fees and taxes, it still ends up around $35. 
    Both had good customer service, but I'd rate T-Mobile as slightly better since they have walk-in stores available for initial set-up same day. CC is more a DIY set-up arrangement. If you need tech assistance transferring your contacts and other data to a new phone, T-Mobile is the way to go.
  • Scooterr
    Scooterr Member Posts: 168
    Ok, thank you guys for the input we have T-Mobile here, I'm not sure about Tracfone or Mint I'll have to look into them. Either way I can't handle AT&T increase. Thanks again
  • ElCy
    ElCy Member Posts: 151
    Fourth Anniversary 10 Comments 5 Likes 5 Care Reactions
    If you have xfinity internet, xfinity mobile is the way to go. Phone and text are completely included. Only charged after 1 gig not on WiFi. My average bill for 2 phones is $15 a month total. One time it was $28 while traveling …
  • jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,768
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

You want to check that you have a connection where you need one. If cyou can't make a call cost will not matter.

• DJnAZ
    DJnAZ Member Posts: 139
    100 Comments Second Anniversary

I have used Google Fi for over 5 years and recommend it. It is a MVNO that uses T-Mobile and US Cellular with very good coverage. Voice and texts are unlimited and data is charged at $10/GB. It is easy to move your current number and most phones including iPhones can be used with a Fi SIM. The first line is $20/month and additional line(s) are $15/month. I have two lines and with very low data usage (I usually use WiFi for data rather than mobile) my bill averages about $45 per month.

https://fi.google.com/about/plans/

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney