Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Dental procedures for PWD

I see this issue raised here, and just wanted to share my experience of the last week..:

My DH with Alzheimer’s was crying in pain with “toothache.” Rx painkillers no help. Went to dentist, who said it was indeed very bad and tooth must come out. Oral surgeon, ditto. Surgeon specializes in dementias and special needs; the procedure itself was relatively fast and OK.

My main  point, though, is I grossly underestimated the “aftercare” required, in terms of things only DH could do himself. Things like clenching a gauze pad between his teeth, and later holding an ice pack to his face. Rinsing *gently* with salt water. Not eating —or chewing or putting in his mouth—hard things. (I got most hidden but didn’t think of everything). Not sticking his fingers in it. 

They told me beforehand the after-care needed,  (and I’ve done it myself), but I just didn’t imagine how hard it would be to get him to hold an ice pack, for example. Usually he takes simple direction well. And doesn’t put weird stuff in his mouth to gnaw. Maybe it all being “new” made it harder?

I’m not really questioning having the procedure done—he was in real pain, plus the threat of more/worse infections. But about the after-care…I don’t know what, or even what to recommend.  A home health aide couldn’t do all involved. 

Even now, it still doesn’t sound like much, but on top of all else, it seemed like a lot. And the consequences could be bad….just something else to keep in mind if it happens to your PWD.

Comments

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    It's easy for us to not realize just how hard things are for them. It seems simple enough for us, but it's like climbing a mountain for them. It shouldn't be too long before the bleeding subsides, but then you have to watch everything he puts in his mouth, so it's hard. I hope everything goes better than you are expecting.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more