Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Potential future placement made harder….

Jeff86
Jeff86 Member Posts: 684
Fourth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

There are peculiar upsides to AD progression.  Among them, my DW is now long past asking to ‘go home.’

Last night, out of the blue, DW said, “I love it here.”

I said, “that’s great,” and asked her why.

She replied, “There are people here I love and enjoy.”

Then, the light bulb flickered and went out.  

I asked her who she was thinking of, but the question was too much for her.  As she does she can’t process something, she simply closed her eyes for a bit.

Reinforces my desire to keep caring for her at home, if possible.  But I’m keenly aware that I’m not in control here, AD is.

Comments

• toolbeltexpert
    toolbeltexpert Member Posts: 1,583
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    Jeff  your a good man. The brief moments of clarity are precious.  I take what ad let's me have.
  • Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Those are the things that make it so difficult to make a decision and stay with it.

When my wife was in the hospital she told me that if I'd take her home, she would "be good, and wouldn't do anything bad". I felt terrible.

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,722
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions
    Thinking about you soldiering on.  Hard to realize you can be relieved and crushed at the same time.  I bet your Hudson Valley is beautiful in June.
  • Quilting brings calm
    Quilting brings calm Member Posts: 2,408
    500 Likes 1000 Comments Fourth Anniversary 250 Insightfuls Reactions

The thing is a child and an addict also make promises about being good, and can’t keep the promise.  It’s not that they ( or she, Ed) don’t want to.  They simply can’t.  

Jeff, the same goes for periods of lucidity and the moments of calmness and contentment. They just can’t stay in those moments for more than just a few ‘ moments’.  

The rest  of us need those promises, lucidity, calmness and contentment on their parts to be there and active more often than not in order for us to stay sane. 

• Gig Harbor
    Gig Harbor Member Posts: 564
    Eighth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes
    Ed my friends husband said that if she would take him home he would sleep in the garage. Still brings tears to my eyes. Within a week of saying that he was pretty settled in and had a good buddy. Together they would plot their escapes.
  • Vitruvius
    Vitruvius Member Posts: 323
    100 Care Reactions Third Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Jeff86,

Your situation is similar to mine. My DW has now moved solidly to Stage 6E. The mechanics of caring for me don't trouble me much, it's the crushing constancy of her need for my attention. If I don't give her my undivided attention see gets agitated. 

Up until recently she really didn't do anything that would be an absolute deal breakers, like aggression or debilitating hallucinations. However, a few days ago, in a moment of inattention on my part she walked out the front door. I rushed after her and she was difficult to coax back into the house. What she might do stresses me out every time I just go to the bathroom.  This of course has led me to consider placement.

Yet it's those glimmers of lucidity that pain me so much. I still often see a core of her original personality. Even though she doesn't recognize me as her husband anymore, she nonetheless tells me she loves me and thanks me when I help her.  She needs constant loving care and I wish I could be the one to continue to provide it for her...but I'm not sure I can. 

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more