Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Need Your Help - Bidet Seats

Jo C.
Jo C. Member Posts: 2,916
Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes

Goodness; the topic of bidet seats has become a quest.

Three very elderly amazing aunts who are sisters in three different states have got onto the topic and are asking me for information about how to choose a bidet seat of which I have no knowledge. They all want such a seat and must choose well as it is a major purchase for each of them but they want to get a very good and dependable one and are willing to spend a little extra to get a good functioning seat.

Two of the aunts are of average size; the third aunt is a very large woman in weight. They all want to buy a remote controlled bidet seat and all are capable of using a remote . . . when I called to obtain help from two local places, it took forever to get a response and then only got a sales pitch and NO really usable information.  So here I am asking all of you who have such a seat:

What has your experience been with such a seat?  Are you happy with your bidet seat?

If you are pleased with your seat, what brand did you purchase?

What would you do differently or what would you advise someone to look for?

With my Ohio aunt who is a large, heavy woman, what would be the concerns and would a seat work well for a larger person and anatomy?

Are there any cleaning issues with the seats and their cleaning "spouts"?

The aunts want to know if the seats will clean the "front" as well as the "back."  I think there are some that do, but I am flummoxed on choices and do not trust my using the online info without input from experienced users.

Electricity will probably have to be put in for the seats as none of the aunts bathrooms have an outlet near the toilet - did any of you find this to be a problem?

What else should I be paying attention to and need to know that I can pass on?

One aunt wanted to know that if she used "too many" washes at one time, would it overflow her toilet . . . this one stumped me; I would not think so, but thought it best to ask.

Any trouble with seats that need a repair person to come out to fix the seat another aunt wants to know?

Whew!  I thank you for your input as would my aunts thank you.  It is a big endeavor for them and they are looking forward to it. 

J.

Comments

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

You don't say where they're from, but if they're from an area that gets cold in the winter, a heated seat would be desirable. 

We have a Brondell Swash CL1700. It has self cleaning jets, but they need cleaning manually at times. This is easy enough to do with a toilet brush. It has a heated seat, with a setting for no heat, low heat, or higher heat. The time it takes when using it for cleaning your body is two minutes, followed by a two minute dry cycle, if used. It has options for cleaning front and rear. There are also water temperature controls, but at the end of the two minute cycle, the heated water is pretty much used up, although it does not get really cold. It takes three minutes to become fully heated after it has cooled off. If necessary, this can be used with a proper extension cord. Overall I think it's a pretty good bidet, but I have nothing to compare it to since this is our first one.

We have a round toilet bowl, and this bidet seems like it might be better if it were put on an elongated bowl This model comes in either round or elongated choices. It just doesn't seem to want to fit quite far enough back for optimum comfort in the round bowl style.

This model has a remote control, and also has buttons you can use on the side of the bidet, if wanted or needed. Settings can be saved.

I bought this on sale from Costco last December for something less than $300.00, I think around $270.00 if memory serves me well.

Be aware that it does take some getting used to. The first time you use it, you will probably be shocked (not electrically) when it first begins to spray. I don't think it would be problematic for a large person, but as stated above, the elongated bowl might be desirable.

We did put an outlet near the toilet. Since our walls were not easily accessed (we're on a concrete slab home, with no useable attic space), we used what is called wire mold, which runs on the outside of the wall, like you might find in a doctor's office, or other places. Although it is not hidden, like wiring inside a wall, it is not bad looking either.

• nancyj194
    nancyj194 Member Posts: 173
    Seventh Anniversary 100 Comments 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes

Jo C that was a great question with a well done reply by Ed. 

Our son has one and wants me to get one, but I've not done it yet. 

My DH has his own bathroom and so far does fine when he has BMs.

My concern is that he will not use a bidet, as he pretty much refuses to shower.  My assumption is that he will equate the bidet with a shower and won't ever use it.  I may be wrong on this so perhaps we should start out with one in my bathroom and see if my DH will give it a try. Change is very difficult for him.  If DH is not able to clean himself as his Alzheimer's progresses, a bidet would be nice to have, now, so he can get used to using one. 

A fair amount needs to be done in my bath, as the toilet us quite low to the floor compared to some I have used.  There is also no electrical outlet in that room.  

Four minutes of the spray and then another four minutes of cleaning seems like a long time, but once a person gets used to it, the time probably isn't important.  

Our son's is heated like Ed's which sounds like a nice feature. 

Perhaps some other spouses/family members will comment on here concerning their LO's use of bidets. 

N

• sandwichone123
    sandwichone123 Member Posts: 748
    500 Comments 100 Likes Third Anniversary 25 Insightfuls Reactions

I have one similar to Ed's, a Brondell, but without a drying feature. It sprays for two minutes before turning off, but heats up in just a few seconds. Mine is also a round bowl style, which my Costco didn't carry, so I had to order it. There are two spigots labeled "front" and "back" but their positioning is adjustable. In my house, they mean "female" and "male" but they will each clean whatever you put above them. Perhaps TMI, but you have to wiggle your bum about a bit to spray all the parts, without lifting the left cheek. If you lift the left cheek it thinks you hopped off, and stops spraying.

The seat is plastic, and I am a larger lady. I can hear that it's developing a crack after four years or so, but it hasn't proven to be a problem yet. I think if it breaks, I'll have to replace the whole thing, not repair. Sitting is the same as on any other toilet seat--same shape and height.

Cleaning can be gross, if you want to get up under there and clean it out, which, TBH, I rarely do. Cleaning the jets is not at all problematic. I just ran an extension cord to where I wanted it, rather than installing.

I would not consider one without heated water, but I love the heated seat as well.

• Cherjer
    Cherjer Member Posts: 227
    Seventh Anniversary 100 Comments 5 Likes
    Jo...I have lots of information and will send on to you...I can answer all your questions. Would you like be to send privately to you?
  • Jo C.

Sorry Cherjer, I have been gone a couple of days.  All input is very welcome.  Even if it is a bit long and can be posted here, it would help others who are also thinking about getting bidet seats. If you are not comfortable doing that, we can create a Connection and put the information there.  If you put in a Connection request, I will respond.   Whichever way you choose, it is appreciated very much.

J.

• Lynne D
    Lynne D Member Posts: 276
    100 Comments Second Anniversary

I have an add-on budget model from Amazon, not hooked to electric. It was about $30. My HWD does not use it.

I am used to the cool water. It has a front and back feature. One thing I have found I have to do (as my HWD pisses all over) is detach it and the toilet seat completely from time to time to clean them. 

• Cherjer
    oh sure...I will post...
  • Jo C.

Thank you so much for all input; please keep it coming - it  has turned into quite an ado for the aunts who are discussing the situation to a fair-thee-well. Such a purchase is no small thing for them.

Now; since my DH has heard of this quest, he feels we should purchase one to try in one of the bathrooms to see how we like it . . . so; the quest picks up steam and I feel I am still not well versed.  In the scope of the universe and todays always awful news programs, this is just a tiny thing, but it has importance for the elderly aunts who are all on a tight budget . . . they are sweet, and dear; two in their later 90's, one at 101 and all of them living independently, very active in all sorts of things, all mentally intact, and all mobile without assistance.  The 101 year old has a daily exercise regime that is a doozy and she also sits on the activity committee with staff for her senior building and helps with activities and even runs  a few of them.  Frankly; they are doing better than I am!  They got the good genes, the rest of us have had the gene pool diluted. Sigh.

Thank you again and will continue to read any more input which will be invaluable.

J.

• Ed1937
    Jo, maybe I should just add that if it were not for my wife, I would never have bought one. Knowing what I know now, I still would not buy one.
  • nancyj194
    nancyj194 Member Posts: 173
    Seventh Anniversary 100 Comments 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes

I am also glad for the comments on here concerning bidets, so keep them coming.  

There was a lengthy discussion on a Costco review site concerning bidets a few months ago.

After reading so many (perhaps 200 or so), I stopped, as it became too much info for my brain. It was a popular topic and definitely catching on in the States.  

I did learn that a heated seat and warm water was nice.  From spray to dry, the time seemed a little long, but then at my age, I'm not having to rush off to go to classes or work.  

People didn't want to waste toilet paper during the Covid pandemic for drying their bottoms. One woman said there was no need to, as she kept a washcloth by the toilet for drying, if she was in a hurry, and could not wait for the dryer to do its job. Another person said,"Ewww!!" The person who had commented said her bottom was so clean, the wash cloth never had any odor.  

As for which bidet to buy, it sounds like a personal choice. 

• Jo C.

"Knowing what you know now" . . . that is important and I trust your inputs Ed; you are always right on spot and very practically knowledgeable.  

So . . . "knowing what you know now," can you outline what that is?  I would like to use it in problem solving thinking at least for ourselves which has come up unexpectedly.

We too live in a slab floor house, but it is two stories and our bathrooms are upstairs with only a powder room downstairs.   The main bathroom where this would be used has a loooooong cabinet going about ten to twelve feet in measuring distance from the one wall plug to the commode; there are no other plugs.   The counter is long and has a long mirror above it that  cannot be removed, so any sort of hidden wire mold would have to run from the plug, down the side of the cabinet and then against the cabinet molding under the toe space  across the floor  to the commode; at least that is the only way I can figure it out. 

As for the aunties; well, they will have to have their own environmental persons figure it out for them.

Thank you so much Ed for the valuable input; it is truly very much appreciated.

J.

• Jo C.

Hello Cherjer, hope you are still here . . .

J.

• Cherjer

Hi Jo,

I sent lengthy info but somehow would not send out. I will try later and lost everything I had written.

• Cherjer
    Will try again. In Oct. 2020 we remodeled our bathroom...thank goodness as it was becoming apparent my husband would soon be encountering issues. We bought a new Toto toilet (which we really did not need to replace) as I did not want coils so show when putting the bidet in. We installed electrical outlet and the coils from the bidet went through a hole in the new toilet. Our bidet is a Toto Washlet...heated seat, upgraded to warm water lasting longer, etc. I have a remote which I use for my husband as he can not handle it. It is a godsend when have a bowel movement. I can get him clean without any effort. Showers are very hard for him and he screams when I gently give him a shower. Having the bidet I know he is clean where it counts. It is also self-cleaning...if you want me to send a picture would be happy to do so. This is the best thing I ever purchased!
  • Ed1937

Jo, I bought the bidet because my wife had several UTIs, she was incontinent, and I wanted to do what I could to help eliminate them. Was a bidet the magic bullet? No, but I think it did help. 

You can set our bidet for cool, warm, and warmer wash. You can also set it to oscillate, which is somewhat helpful, and pressure is also adjustable. It has settings for front or back wash, and it has a very cool blue night light on the seat. Installation was pretty straight forward, but like you, we needed an outlet closer to the bidet. We used wire mold because there was no way to access the inner wall to have wiring inside the wall. My next post shows the wire mold. Where you see the big box, there was just a normal box like you find in most places. I'm posting a pic of the wire mold so you can see what it is.

Here are the things I don't like about it. It doesn't get you 100% clean every time, although it is pretty good. I think the one we have could be considered mid range, and maybe the more expensive ones do a better job?? When you are in a bit of a hurry, the wash and dry can seem like quite a long time to finish. I don't really have any major complaints, but I guess I expected more.

• Ed1937

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care