Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Depakote and Donepezil

So I just got the call from the MD. They prescride these 2 medications.  Does anybody have any experience with these good or bad. They didn't give me a dx. And are these expensive? And lastly any good ideas on how I can introduce these since dw doesn't take any meds period.. I know one is for memory she might not fight that? Now that I have the prescriptions a few set of anxiety has kicked in. She doesn't remember any of the MD visits or the CT. So telling her she had these may likely create new problems. OR MAYBE I AM JUST OVER THINKING THIS.

Comments

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,723
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

TBE, the depakote is for her behaviors, and the donepezil is generic Aricept (for memory).  If it were me and knowing she's likley to be resistant , I'd try to get the depakote in her and forget about the donepezil, doubt that it's likely to do much for her at this stage.  Tell her the depakote is for her memory if you have to.

the depakote is a reasonable thing to try:  like all of these drugs, there are people who can have adverse reactions, so you'll need to watch for worsening instead of improvement.  It's metabolized in the liver, and liver enzymes and drug levels should be monitored, at least initially (and if other meds are added, as there can be interactions).

Another thought is to start her on the depakote first, and if it has a good effect, introduce the donepezil later if you want to or feel strongly about it.  Never a great idea to start two drugs simultaniously, if she has side effects you may have a hard time telling which one caused it.

• toolbeltexpert
    toolbeltexpert Member Posts: 1,583
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Thank you soo much that sounds good and logical given that there could be side effects. He prescribed 250 mg of depakote. I have to go pick them up, probably tomorrow.  I hope they are not a high dollar med as she has the basic part d seeing how she hasn't ever taken anything. They said the scan was normal for someone of her age. The slums test and his interview are probably the drivers for these. I think she could have scored much lower than she did on the slums based on what I see every day. Hope you got a little rain and no damage, we got a tenth here. We are west of Cookeville. About 30 miles. Again thanks. I am glad you've had some good reports. M1 I never picked up on why some residents in the mcf I used to visit never had visitors. Your experience has helped me understand why and I am sad that it hasn't resolved for you.It is so different for me now that it's my dw. I really didn't understand as much as I thought. I did learn alot though and it has been helpful but no where near as this forum.

• harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 4,364
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes
    Depakote shouldn't be too expensive-- check goodrx.com for prices near you. 

It can't be crushed, although I think there may be sprinkles you could mix into food/drink. Another option is to introduce the med as "vitamins" you both should be taking for your health.
  • ImMaggieMae
    ImMaggieMae Member Posts: 1,015
    250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Care Reactions

Toolbeltexpert, I use Goodrx for almost all of of prescriptions. It’s a free service/card that you can download on their Goodrx website. 60 tablets of 250mg Depakote is anywhere from $9 to $43 in our area and varies a lot depending on the pharmacy you use. You just give them your Goodrx number when you go to pick up the script. You can see the different pharmacies on their website and the different strengths and number of pills. I always use the same pharmacy and have our doctors send all of our prescriptions there. It’s the one which has the best Goodrx prices. I picked up a Crestor prescription for myself a couple days ago. 90 tablets would have been $44 copay with my rx insurance. With Goodrx it was $11. Our pharmacy keeps our Goodrx numbers in their computer so we don’t have to show a card or number each time.

My DH took Donezpil (Aricept) for about 4 years. Didn’t notice any side effects and not sure if it did any good or not. How do you judge something that doesn’t make things better, just slows down progression? The doctor stopped it last year. He takes memantine now and just had the dosage increased. 

• M1

As the others have said--neither should be too expensive.  You might ask if they'll hold the donepezil for you until you decide so you don't have to pay for it right this minute if you decide you don't want it.

As to your other questions:  no, darn it, I didn't get a drop of rain, we squeezed right between two storms.  Lots of wind and lightning, had to go out and pick up a few cornstalks and pepper plants that toppled (no irreversible damage as yet).  Next week looks to be just as bad.

Speaking of which--Ed I'm very jealous if you had 70 degree weather today!!  Are you sure you live in the US?  I think we maybe had 70's in April?  Hardly since....

• M1

As the others had said---neither should be too expensive.  You might ask the pharmacy if they'll hold the donepezil for you so you don't have to get both up front (they should).  As HB said, if a capsule or tablet proves problematic, there are sprinkles and probalby also a liquid form of Depakote if you need it.  Keep us posted how it goes.

As for your other question, no I did not get a drop of rain, sadly.  Squeezed rigth between two fronts.  Lots of wind and lightning, had to go out and straighten up a few cornstalks and pepper plants that toppled--time to stake for sure.  Next week is supposed to be just as bad.

And speaking of which--Ed I'm very jealous if you had 70 degree weather today, are you sure you're in the US?!?  I think we had 70's maybe in January....

• Kenzie56
    Kenzie56 Member Posts: 130
    100 Comments Second Anniversary 5 Care Reactions
    My MIL had LBD and severe behavioral problems. (She was trying to hit people in her MCF with her cane and tried to strangle me a couple times.) We were worried she'd hurt the staff and other residents. She was hospitalized for evaluation (It was that or they were going to kick her out of the facility) and Seroquel and Depakote were prescribed. Worked like a miracle! Not only did her behavior improve dramatically, she was more relaxed, less anxious and a joy to be around.  All the people that lived in her room (hallucinations) disappeared "without even saying good-bye". She had no side effects. The nurse told her the additional pills were vitamins and she took them without issue. Good luck - I'll be thinking of you.
  • toolbeltexpert
    Well what I mistake I made I had them send the scrip to Walgreens thinking it would be cheaper. Nope good rx prices 65$  walmart 14$ how do I get the prescription moved now. I learned a lesson check the prices before getting it sent.
  • Marie58
    Marie58 Member Posts: 382
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments
    You should be able to call your doc's office (on Mon.) and ask them to send it to walmart.
  • harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 4,364
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes

Walmart should be able to transfer the prescription for you.

• ButterflyWings
    ButterflyWings Member Posts: 1,752
    500 Likes Fifth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Insightfuls Reactions

Agreed - you also can tell the Walgreens pharmacist to transfer it to WM. Call them & provide the phone # and address of the WM pharmacy you want it transferred to. And I’d let both pharmacies know you need it transferred and filled today. 

Sometimes pharmacies also offer a one time coupon or discount for a new or transferred scrip. Like $5-$20 off on another item in the store. Worth asking. 

Regarding the meds - good luck and sorry there’s no diagnosis yet. FWIW DH could not take Aricept due to immediate and significant weight loss. It suppressed his appetite completely. Down 15-20 lbs in just a few weeks, maybe gastro discomfort too but I don’t know. The weight loss was so sudden and drastic, his Neuro & I were in agreement to pull it quickly. By the time  behaviors ramped up, it was Seroquel he prescribed as you all know. Worked like a charm for us.  No sedation or other side effects that I know of ? except maybe weight gain, though that was a good thing at the time due to his prior rapid loss of 15-20 lbs  in 2 < mos.  

Congrats on continued progress with Dr & meds!

• ImMaggieMae
    ImMaggieMae Member Posts: 1,015
    250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Care Reactions
    Definitely differences in Goodrx pricing between different pharmacies. Walgreens is always one of the highest here. Walmart and Safeway are two of the lowest. If you haven’t picked up the prescriptions yet, just call Walmart to get it transferred over. Let your doctor’s office know where to send future prescriptions. Good luck with these new drugs. I hope you see big improvements.
  • toolbeltexpert
    Wish I had listened to BW. It's late today and some of you might understand what that means. Major meltdown. I managed to keep my mouth shut. I really thought it was going to end bad. I put on Wheel of fortune and peace has returned. I have had a headache most of the day, may be because I Sprayed bug killer in the crawl space, my favorite job crawling under the house and picking up the dead mice. Someone mentioned the other day that they contract out the pest control and I knew I had to get it done. I'll let you all know how it ends, and thanks to you all for your replies.
  • toolbeltexpert
    I wanted to say thanks HB,BW,M1,IMMAGGIEMAE, ARMY_VET60. I APPRECIATE your experiences, I called walmart and they will take care of transferring her presciptions., I can't believe how easy that was,you all bless me, I'll be watching for the side effects and only do the depakote to start. It so good to have a family who is such a help. I continue to thank God for you all.
  • Buggsroo
    Buggsroo Member Posts: 573
    500 Comments 100 Care Reactions Third Anniversary 5 Insightfuls Reactions
    My husband takes aricept or donpezil. I haven’t really noticed too much of a difference, however he takes trazadone and it makes a big difference in his behaviour. He can be annoying but was awful before the trazadone. Before, he took rispiridone, but he started pacing, drooling etc. Thank god, he no longer takes it. Good luck with her meds.
  • Grandx7
    Grandx7 Member Posts: 35
    10 Comments First Anniversary
    My husband was on donepezil for several years and we didn't notice any difference.  Depakote was prescribed about a year ago and worked well until a couple of months.  It was helpful in calming his anger and crankiness.  He has just recently been in a transitional facility to try and regulate his meds so he can then go to MC as I can no longer manage him.  They placed him on a liquid depakote and it seems to be working much better than the pills.  I am not sure why the difference but am happy he is responding well to the change.  The staff mixes his medicine with a beverage and he's not aware he is taking anything.  I wish you good luck.
  • Just Bill
    Just Bill Member Posts: 315
    100 Care Reactions 100 Comments Second Anniversary 25 Insightfuls Reactions
    My wife started with donapezil. Side effects were very vivid dreaming, and 2 weeks of upset stomach. Then we went to an antidepressant. Side effects were 2 weeks of upset stomach. Then when she started waking up in the middle of the night I knock her out with ambien. No side effects with that. I can't really see the positive side effects of the donapezil, but the antidepressant helps with her anger from delusions. The generic ambien has been a great side effect she sleeps through the night and more importantly so do I. My attitude with drugs has been attack the symptoms. After all drugs are nothing more than speed bumps delaying or soothing the inevitable. She gets a multivitamin and her antidepressant(effexor) in the morning and donapezil and 10mg of ambien before bed. I am very lucky my wife is very cooperative with her treatment she wants to get better. We walk the dog between 2 and 4 miles a day broken up in 1 mile increments. I have her keep a pencil and paper to exercise her brain with drawing or writing. I am a manufacturing consultant and taking care of her has forced me to work from home. One of my customers lets me bring her with me and I give her real simple repetitive tasks. Factory type work is great therapy for her. But the most important thing is she lets me wear her out positively with routines. Every day is a new day and what works today may not work tomorrow. Being a 24/7 caregiver success is a constantly moving dynamic target that only exist in the moment. The moment is always changing.
  • Bob in LW
    Bob in LW Member Posts: 91
    Second Anniversary 10 Comments 5 Care Reactions

My SO has been taking Donepezil since she was first diagnosed about three years ago.  As others have noted, it is difficult to judge its' effectiveness.  However, on her last visit to her neurologist, the doctor said that her memory loss has not deteriorated as fast as she had expected.

As for cost, we just got some refills and for 150 Donepezil 10 MG tablets the co-pay was $10. This was through Kaiser in California, who is our Medicare provider. 

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more