Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

My Wish

EdiBug
EdiBug Member Posts: 14
Fourth Anniversary First Comment

This year I lost three family members to Alzheimer's Disease. My father-in-law and husband passed within a week of each other, and my aunt died about six months later.  In reflecting on how much this disease has taken from my family's lives, I am saddened by the fact that after all this time, we are still no closer to finding a cure for this heartbreaking disease.  My wish is that sooner, rather than later, a cure will be found.  I thank my husband, Bill, for participating in the clinical trials that he did and for donating his brain for research.  I hope his efforts lead to some researcher, somewhere going down the right path to finding an answer for the cure.

Today is the first-year anniversary of my husband's death. Happy heavenly Father's Day, Wilco.

Comments

• ButterflyWings
    ButterflyWings Member Posts: 1,752
    500 Likes Fifth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Insightfuls Reactions

(((EdiBug))) - I have no words that could possibly comfort you. All I can say is bless you. And I definitely support + join you in prioritizing a cure, and as Iris identified a short while back, also real investment and help for families and caregivers hit so hard by this disease. 

Happy Heavenly Father’s Day to your precious LOs. Beautiful bittersweet post. Holding you in my heart.
  • Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    EdiBug, I'm so sorry your family has been hit so hard with this. Thanks to people like your husband, we can at least have hope for something better in the not too distant future.
  • Paris20
    Paris20 Member Posts: 502
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Likes 5 Care Reactions
    Edibug, I am so sorry for all your grievous losses. My husband has AD, as did his grandmother. I try not to think about the future of my children and grandchildren but they have already confessed to me that they are afraid they will some day have AD too. AD and the other forms of dementia will increase as populations age. It is so frustrating that with all the dedicated research going on, there is so little that we can do for our loved ones. I pray there will be a breakthrough because the thought of anyone in anybody’s family having dementia is too painful to contemplate.
  • David J
    David J Member Posts: 479
    100 Comments Third Anniversary

EdiBug-

I remember last year when your husband and FIL passed. I am still sorry for your multiple losses and worries about the next generation. Please accept my condolences again, I am wishing you peace, for yourself and for your family. 

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    Paris20 wrote:
    they have already confessed to me that they are afraid they will some day have AD too. 

Just a few days ago, I was reading that somewhere around 5% of all PWD are familial. 

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more