Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

This might be helpful information

I am gonna be starting dw on depakote tomorrow and looking at all the side effects. And I came across this article about learning how to manage behaviors without medicine. I saw a lot behaviors that are listed here often. Some of you may have already read this.

https://betterhealthwhileaging.net/how-to-manage-difficult-alzheimers-behaviors-without-drugs/

Comments

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    I haven't seen that before. While I started to read it, I'm putting it in my bookmarks because it looks very interesting. Thanks for the link.
  • sunshine5
    sunshine5 Member Posts: 148
    Second Anniversary 10 Comments

The link doesn’t click.

Interesting topic!

• sunshine5
    sunshine5 Member Posts: 148
    Second Anniversary 10 Comments
    Let me know whether u learn ED
  • Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    I have read part of it so far. I think it is well written, by someone who knows what they're talking about. Thumbs up!
  • CatsWithHandsAreTrouble
    CatsWithHandsAreTrouble Member Posts: 370
    100 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes First Anniversary
    Thanks toolbelt for the resources and thanks Ed for making the url into a hyperlink. How did you do that if you don't mind me asking in the thread.
  • toolbeltexpert
    toolbeltexpert Member Posts: 1,583
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    I would like to know as well sometimes my links are clickable and sometimes not? On my phone if I hold down it will give the option to open it. I would also like to know how to put a picture in the main body,if that's possible on a phone. My 5 year old dinosaur dell, is soooo slooow,that's why I use my phone.
  • May flowers
    May flowers Member Posts: 758
    500 Comments Third Anniversary

This is a good read - we have done many of these with my FIL and they do work most of the time. 

There are times that none of the reassurances, redirects, walking away, avoiding triggers, etc work. He will wake up with a crazy-eyed, “fight or flight” behavior and nothing, I mean nothing, breaks through that for him besides meds. We can avoid an escalation if we notice it early, but not if he wakes up like that. I wish we never had to use meds, but we are there now (7c).

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more