Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

The new normal

nancyj194
nancyj194 Member Posts: 173
Seventh Anniversary 100 Comments 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes

Every day sees changes that keep adding up. During the last six months or so, DH constantly says umm, umm or huhh huhh. Sometimes I can tell he is singing, mostly it is just the umm or huhh sounds.  When I ask what he said, he says, "nothing." 

He does this all of the time, unless he is asleep.  Conversation is limited and when he does say something to me, I ask him to repeat it several times, even if I am listening intently.  

I wonder if this is common with Alzheimer's. He is late stage five. 

Friday night I took him out to his beloved Mexican food restaurant, which we have only been to twice since Covid came into our world. He ate well for his small appetite. We brought left overs home for another meal.  He had a beef taco, a tamale and a cheese enchilada.  The next night I warmed up the left overs and he finished that meal.  During the evening, he slept in his recliner and moaned loudly.  Thirty minutes after going to bed, he was up vomiting.  He had fallen before he made it in to to his bathroom, so I helped him up and determined there were no injuries. He vomited copious amounts.  For the next three hours, he kept going back to the bathroom, but threw up no more.  

I had some anti-nausea meds left from my knee replacement, so gave him one to dissolve under his tongue.  It gave him zero relief from the nausea.  He wanted to drink a swig of liquid antacid he keeps by his bed, but I thought he would just throw it up, so said no, not yet. 

Finally around 1 am , I said he could try the liquid antacid. It worked! 

Father's day plans were put aside, but our daughter, son in law, and granddaughter stopped by for a brief visit.  

My world keeps growing smaller. Journaling helps as our family and friends really don't understand what Alzheimer's life is like.  

Thanks,

N

Comments

• Sligo177
    Sligo177 Member Posts: 165
    100 Comments Second Anniversary
    God bless you Nancy!  I'm familiar with the grunting, my DH does that all the time, I don't know if it's to relieve anxiety or maybe self-soothing - if I call attention to it, which I don't any more, he can stop it.  But he just starts again.  And your Saturday night!  We all get it, those nightmare nights, that seem to last forever.  A rough one.
  • Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    Nancy, I'm sorry. I know you've been dealing with this for quite a while. I hope there are no underlying injuries from the fall.
  • nancyj194

Thanks Sligo and Ed,

Sligo, I guess it is normal to make grunting and moaning sounds. I feel you are right, it is for self soothing and anxiety, also.    When we were at our son and our soon to be daughter in law's, we were watching the hockey game after dinner and DH was loud enough with his sounds that I said we could not hear the game.  He quieted down for maybe five or ten seconds and then the sounds continued.  

I'm dealing with IT Band Syndrome in my left knee and hip, so I am back to doing PT. At least I had an answer for what was going on with my year old new knee.  It's always something.  

DH's appetite is going away after doing better following his appendix removal last fall.  I'll make another appointment with his neurologist and hope for a cancellation before six months has gone by. Sorry for the rambling. 

Ed, there were no injuries from the fall, as a soft velvet rocker caught him.  Before, when he has fallen in the bedroom, he hits his head/face on the dresser or the night stand, ending in a lot of blood shed. This time he almost made it to the bathroom, which isn't far, but away from the wooden furniture.

DH's memory issues have been going on since before he took an early retirement, at age 60, in 1999. For several years before that,  no one believed me, when I said something was going on with DH's memory.  Finally in 2017 our long time family doctor could not miss the symptoms and gave us a referral to a University Health Science neurologist for Alzheimer's. I remember going to have lunch after our appointment, along with our son, and sitting at the table crying with relief and a terrible sadness. 

N

• nancyj194

Hi Armyvet, 

Thank you for your comment about appetite. 

My DH had a swallow test approximately 7 years ago and then another scope down his throat maybe 3-4 years ago.  His gastrointestinal doctor said to drink water while eating, as that would help wash the food down.  There was a small area where the food was sitting in his throat. The water did help, but soon he stopped drinking water during the meal.  

He is such a particular eater, changing what I fix may not be very easy. Tonight I will give him a protein shake and see how much of that he drinks. He's had them in the past and did drink them, then.  

I fixed an omelet last week with only egg, bacon and some steamed asparagus in it.  He asked for this meal but only ate a small slice.  

Last night I fixed a dish his mother fixed and he ate it quite well.  It was Italian sausage, that I broke into smaller pieces as I cooked them, diced potatoes and then added frozen peas towards the end, which steamed with the lid on. He didn't have a big spoonful, but he did eat every bite. 

Breakfast he does fairly well eating, but lunch and dinner his appetite is mostly gone.  

I've not made an appointment with his neurologist at University, as I'm not sure that is the route to take for what is going on here.  Our relatively new family doctor, who only treats seniors, seems unfamiliar with treating Alzheimer's patients.  

Is your wife still with you or in MC?

N

• ladyzetta
    ladyzetta Member Posts: 1,028
    Seventh Anniversary 1000 Comments 25 Likes 5 Insightfuls Reactions
    Army.    Sorry to get off topic here, but I just wanted to let you know that every time I see this picture of Sandy, it reminds me of how beautiful she was. Hugs to you. Zetta

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more