Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Thank you !

Just Bill
Just Bill Member Posts: 315
100 Care Reactions 100 Comments Second Anniversary 25 Insightfuls Reactions
I have been taking care of my wife for a year and a half. I used to be able to leave her alone for up to 6 hours as long as we go somewhere when I get home. Her disease is progressing fast and the last 3 months I'm caring for her 24/7. Lately I have been really feeling the weight of it all. I feel completely isolated with this whole thing. I felt like it was my wife who is losing her mind fast and me in a tiny boat in the middle of the ocean. This morning I found this message board and I think I have experienced everything I read. A light went off in my head, I am not alone with this. There are 1000's of people bearing the same weight I am. I learned this morning from reading these horror stories to just accept what is happening and live in the moment as much as possible. It felt like a giant weight was lifted off my back. Thank you all.

Comments

• saltom
    saltom Member Posts: 126
    100 Comments First Anniversary
    I, too, recently found this forum and have more than reaped the benefits from practical information on disposable underwear for my DH to more emotional aspects of 24/7 caregiving. Knowing I am not alone is a major help.  Welcome to the group Bill.
  • David J
    David J Member Posts: 479
    100 Comments Third Anniversary

Bill, Welcome!  There are many knowledgeable and helpful people here. Almost any issue you might have has been experienced by someone on the forum. Their stories can help you understand where you are and where you’re heading, and their advice can save you from negative experiences. 

From your profile, it is hard to tell your situation, but if you think that Medicaid is in your wife’s future, you need to see a Certified Elder Care Attorney(CELA). If you haven’t done wills, Durable Power of Attorney, Living Will, etc, the same attorney can do that. It’s important to do this while your wife can still sign her name.  It may seem mercurial to focus there first, but it is absolutely necessary to get your financial situation under control for now and the future. 

Others will likely chime in with other important information. What had worked for others may work for you, but no two situations are alike, and solutions for others may not fit your situation. It’s all information to consider as you move forward. Good luck and come back here often to share what you’re going through. You can ask for help, give help, vent, or give comfort to someone at the end of their rope. We’re all going through it or have been there!

• KathyF1
    KathyF1 Member Posts: 104
    25 Care Reactions Second Anniversary 10 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions
    Bill, I am new to this forum too and I feel the same way. Grateful for the knowledge that I’m not alone, and for the advice from those who have walked in our shoes. For me, this journey is scary. And socializing becomes uncomfortable, this disease leads to isolation for the caregiver. I think you’ll find comforting support on this forum. I know I have.
  • Battlebuddy
    Battlebuddy Member Posts: 331
    100 Comments Third Anniversary 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

Just Bill , 

I’m glad that you are feeling less alone now that you have found this group. It’s a terrible thing to feel isolated and alone due to the illness. Makes things so much worse. I’ve learned so much from this group, and I can always count on people understanding and getting it.

Welcome to all you newbies. 

We are at the last stage of this journey at my house and have survived . You will too 

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Bill, welcome aboard. Sorry you need to be here. But you found a good place to pull up a chair. 

David had excellent advice about getting a CELA, if you haven't already done so. This is something you don't want to put off.

You're right. You are not alone. You will get understanding here like nowhere else. People are here to support you, and help when possible. 

• Mint
    Mint Member Posts: 2,678
    Eighth Anniversary 2500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    Just want to say welcome to each one of you.
  • Sligo177
    Sligo177 Member Posts: 165
    100 Comments Second Anniversary

Just Bill,

Oh my gosh, you are not alone, we are right with you.  I am feeling the same, every day, and yup, live in each moment, you are spot on.  Also, stating exactly what others have posted, you will find tips from those who are dealing with these daily problems.  I'm going out to get adult diapers this morning for the first time, and because of these great people on the forum, I don't think it's horrible, it's just what we have to do.  I will keep you in my prayers.  Have a wonderful day.  And I hope you get rest when you need it.

• toolbeltexpert
    toolbeltexpert Member Posts: 1,583
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    Bill I also experienced a feeling of I am not alone when I found this forum, I find expressing my frustrations,my joys my fears helpful   because every step along the way brings new challenges, here is where I find a companion who has been down that road. Welcome to all of you who are new or newer. Welcome to all who just read, I know your out there, I just read for a long time too.
  • Joydean
    Joydean Member Posts: 1,498
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Bill welcome! I also agree with what others have stated, this is a comfort site. I have learned more from these people than I have from all dh’s doctors. Definitely a journey none of us ever wanted to be on but knowing you are not alone helps. It’s like a group of friends when most of your “other “ friends have disappeared. 

You can do this! As someone has said you’re stronger than you think! 

• Vitruvius
    Vitruvius Member Posts: 323
    100 Care Reactions Third Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Bill, you are definitely not alone in this. I am in a similar situation, as are many others here. I have learned more valuable information here than every other source combined. I have also benefited from the travails of those who are a bit farther along and this has helped me prepare for the near future. Best of luck. Also as others have noted, make sure you get your legal issues resolved soon, I almost waited too long. 

• Scooterr
    Scooterr Member Posts: 168
    100 Comments Second Anniversary 5 Likes
    Bill I'm another newbie myself. This forum has helped me more than they will ever know. It's a good place with good people. On here your never alone, welcome!

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more