Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Taking PWD from MC to Dr. Appointment

David J
David J Member Posts: 479
100 Comments Third Anniversary

My wife is in MC (9 mos) and is under care of in-house pcp for general medicine. Her psychiatrist manages her anti depressants and anti psychotics, and now anti seizure meds. The pcp’s PA visits all the residents regularly and the pcp is always available to the staff for emergencies. I schedule phone calls with the psychiatrist, who has changed to all telemed since covid. However, all other doctors or other providers need to be seen in person, since they don’t do home visits. 

Two weeks ago I took her for bloodwork, and today I took her to the seizure neurologist. It is becoming harder and harder to get her to and from these appointments without her escaping. On the way out of the facility she kept trying to go back inside. Once outside, I had to guide her into the car and fasten her seatbelt, while she wanted to head out across the parking lot. When we got to the doctor’s office, as I was trying to get the paperwork from the car, lock the car, and get her inside, she took off in the opposite direction. It was the same going back to the MC. Basically, I didn’t have enough hands to keep her from walking away while doing anything else. Has anyone dealt with: 1) Needing to take a PWD out of MC for medical care, and 2) trying to keep control of your LO while coming and going for medical services?

Thanks, 

Dave  

Comments

• Stuck in the middle
    Stuck in the middle Member Posts: 1,167
    1000 Comments Fifth Anniversary 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes

I didn't have this problem when I took my mother to doctors, partly because she was in her 90s and not very mobile.  If I had, I think I would find a second person to drive or to help guide her.

I used to help a friend with her husband, who had AD, and the two of us could pretty well handle his tendency to take off across the parking lot.

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    My wife has only been in MC for less than 3 weeks. She went in with a broken wrist from a fall, and she had to get her cast taken off, have x-rays, then replace the cast. I did not go, but one of our sons and daughters took her. I expected them to have a very hard time with her, but she didn't really give them a problem. Probably because she was so tired. But I also think having a second person with you is the way to go. You can only do so much by yourself.
  • harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 4,364
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes
    David-

I expected my dad to be a problem around this. By the time we started MC, we'd transitioned to a more palliative approach and relied on the facility's gerontologist and geri-psych for care. They had a traveling x-ray and phlebotomist come as needed. 

But we did continue dad's prostate cancer treatment- ADT given by IM injection every 6 months to avoid it moving into his bones. For that, we hired medical transport which was about $150/RT. He was more intimidated by professionals and cooperated.

HB
  • David J
    David J Member Posts: 479
    100 Comments Third Anniversary
    Good ideas, thanks!
  • ButterflyWings
    ButterflyWings Member Posts: 1,752
    500 Likes Fifth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Insightfuls Reactions
    It would be great if docs or NPs could come to her when video visits are not an option. That’s what we have done for the past year, via palliative home care and the hospice. That said, I know EXACTLY what you mean. This is my guy to a “T”, and then some. Once he starts it is very difficult to redirect him. It sounds as if your LO is at least responsive to following your lead after her initial distraction. That’s a blessing if so.

If I ever try to take DH out by myself again, I plan to have one of the seatbelt locks installed first, will be 100% certain the child lock is on, and he will have to ride in the rear passenger side. Can you do that? I’d suggest the “FILO” strategy too: our PWD LO should be the “first in, last out” of the vehicle so the caregiver has time to get docs, keys, etc ready while the escape artist is secured. That’s what comes to mind for me, anyway. Haven’t tried it yet and DH may not cooperate it’s and when I do. Seems worth trying along with the other great feedback you got.
    Good luck!

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney