Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Charitable donations

Elshack
Elshack Member Posts: 240
Third Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes
Is the Alzheimer's Association a good place to send donations or do those that run it take alot in salaries? My DH is 92 and has AD and for future reference I want to know when he passes if I should list the Association as a choice for friends and family to send donations in his name.

Comments

• Elshack

I think I amswered my own question. I looked up info on Charity Watch and they gave the Alzheimer's Association a B + in 2020.

• Michael Ellenbogen
    Michael Ellenbogen Member Posts: 991
    Legacy Membership 500 Comments 25 Likes 5 Care Reactions

I think the best place for dementia is UsAgainstAlzheimers   https://www.usagainstalzheimers.org/

I don’t think there is a better place and I know all of them in the world.  

• dayn2nite2
    dayn2nite2 Member Posts: 1,132
    Eighth Anniversary 1000 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes
    I personally feel the people who run the organization have made a very lucrative career out of it and the people who are supposed to benefit get almost nothing in comparison.
  • JJ401
    JJ401 Member Posts: 312
    Sixth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Care Reactions

Also, if they had hospice care, consider a donation to the hospice.

Both MIL and SIL were in the same memory care (years apart). That facility uses donations for programs and activity supplies. They have at least one and most often two musical performers each week and both morning and afternoon activities each day. 

• jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,768
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    Michael has made a wonderful suggestion that I hope you will consider.
  • Elshack
    I definitely will consider Michael's suggestion. Thanks !
  • Jo C.
    Jo C. Member Posts: 2,916
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes

We each have our own feelings about donations.

NOTE:  The Alzheimer's Assn. provides this wonderfully supportive AlzConnected Board for us at no cost to us and it has been a life saver for many of us . . . one can make a donation to the Alzheimer's Assn. and request it be directed toward the AlzConnected Message Board or even to the online Social Worker Care Consultants work who answer the phones to provide support at the Alzheimer's Assn. Helpline that is available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year and is accessible through (800) 272-3900.

I for one, since we all greatly benefit from the gift of this AlzConnected service and the Care Consultants would want to support that.

J.

• RIM
    RIM Member Posts: 22
    Third Anniversary 10 Comments

Guidestar.org publishes tax form 990 of all non profit organizations.  Compensation of the top company officer’s are reported on the 990.  $$$$$$$, whoa.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more