Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

In 5 minutes it won't matter

I am reminding myself that for the most part in 5 minutes what ever drama that is going on it won't be in 5 minutes. It helps me to look forward. Without dread. Some have referred to the longest day, I am gonna say the shortest 5 minutes. Maybe it will help me get thru the next 5 minutes, when I am at wits ends. If you want to know where wits end  is, live with a pwd and you'll find it. It's the at the intersection of I've tried everything and nothing worked. Sorry for my complaining.

Comments

• Daughter of a Marine
    Daughter of a Marine Member Posts: 55
    Seventh Anniversary 25 Care Reactions 10 Comments 5 Likes
    Do not apologize, dear friend. I'm sorry you too are dealing with a loved PWD.  There are days when my DH has gotten annoyed because I ask him not to water the garden for the 3rd time that day.  I remind myself that in 5-10 minutes, he'll forget and for that reason, I also need to move on. When he starts setting up our Halloween decorations outside  (and it's only June), I have learned to wait until he's asleep and then take them down since he will not remember setting them up in the morning.  Life has become a series of little tricks and strategies meant to appease him and help me to navigate this obstacle course that is our life. I know you can relate - you are not alone.  There is much support here.  God bless you.
  • Just Bill
    Just Bill Member Posts: 315
    100 Care Reactions 100 Comments Second Anniversary 25 Insightfuls Reactions
    What a coincidence. I was going to write a post on just hang on 5 more minutes. Then 5 more minutes. Then 5 more minutes. Breathe big inhale hold exhale hold. Then go 5 more minutes. Imagine playing golf. Then go 5 more minutes. More breathing. 5 more minutes. Go into your happy place, get into the zone and go 5 more minutes. And then after 5 minutes you get to the other side and there is a measure of happiness. Maybe for 5 minutes.
  • Scooterr
    Scooterr Member Posts: 168
    100 Comments Second Anniversary 5 Likes
    No toolbelt don't apologize your words are very precise. When you get to your wits end, your tried, and just plain worn out there just doesn't seem like enough word to cover the pain of living with a pwd. I see you've posted this last night, I hope and pray today is a good one for you and your DW.
  • Joydean
    Joydean Member Posts: 1,498
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Toolbelt no apologies, we are all in this together. Some further down the road and others getting behind, but still on the same road. There are days when even 5 minutes seem like forever. I hope and pray today is a better day for you and your dw. 

I find the good days scare me more than the bad ones. I am grateful for good days or hours, they are like a beautiful spring morning, then the cold blast of winter hits you right in the face!  We are with you TB!  

• Rescue mom
    Rescue mom Member Posts: 988
    500 Comments Fourth Anniversary 5 Likes

What toolbelt said has been so helpful to me, especially earlier in DHs journey. Something else another member said a while back was also big for me. Some of you may remember, but for the newer members, it was something like “things don’t have to be perfect, they just have to be good enough.” 

Good enough will get you through a lot, with far less pain. And what seemed important at the moment, probably won’t be so much tomorrow…or in 5 minutes. 

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more