Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

We need more people like him

Ed1937
Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

The man who owns the funeral home where my wife will be has had the business for many years, locally. Several years ago, he decided to sell to a large company, and continued to work as an employee for them. But after seeing how they treated the grieving families, financially, he decided to open another funeral home, about a block away from where he originally was. This man cuts costs for families, and offers much more in the way of caring than the "big boys" down the street. He already called me today "just to see how we were doing", after he already had our business. He didn't have to do this. He is compassionate and caring, and puts you at ease when talking about things that are hard to talk about. You do not feel like he has his hand in your pocket when you walk through his door. He also handled things when our son died in 1998.

His name is Konnie Kuiper. He told us that he has an antique car collection. When it is his turn to leave this world he said he'd expect his obituary to read "Konnie Kuiper passed on Friday. Antique car collection sale starting Tuesday".

Here is my wife's obit. She is pictured with our son who preceded her in death. https://www.hillsidefhcares.com/obituary/Carole-Ladendorf#tributewall  

Comments

• David J
    David J Member Posts: 479
    100 Comments Third Anniversary

Ed, What a beautiful testament to your lovely and talented wife. I cant get over everything she did in her life, and with children, grandchildren, and great-grandchildren!  32 of them!  

Wishing you peace and happy memories of your life together. 

Dave

• Pat6177
    Pat6177 Member Posts: 442
    100 Likes Third Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions

Ed, thank you for sharing your wife’s obit with us. It’s such a pleasure to hear about you DW’s life prior to this disease. How special that you are both such loving, caring and open people!

As for the kindness of the guy at the funeral home - it sure makes a difference, doesn’t it? The son of my god parents was a mortician and I remember how kind he was to us when my mother passed away. 

• toolbeltexpert
    toolbeltexpert Member Posts: 1,583
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    Ed that was beautiful, that's a wonder picture. Carole was a very accomplished woman and raised a great family. I have served at many celebrations of life and I certainly can attest to some funeral homes are very caring for each person that crosses their path and others are just a business. Thanks Ed for sharing that.
  • M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,723
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions
    That is indeed a great picture Ed and a wonderful writeup.  A LIfe Well Lived, as the Today program says.
  • Jeff86
    Jeff86 Member Posts: 684
    Fourth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

That’s a beautiful tribute to your wonderful wife.  Thank you for letting us get to know her better.

Hope memories of your long loving life together are sustaining you now.

• Beachfan
    Beachfan Member Posts: 790
    Sixth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

How beautiful a tribute to your Carole!  She certainly lived a full and productive life and obviously touched many, many people.  May your memories and your wonderful family sustain you as time passes.

(Truth be told, I could barely get past the picture.  Such a beautiful child, your son.) I am praying for all of you.  

• Scooterr
    Scooterr Member Posts: 168
    100 Comments Second Anniversary 5 Likes
    Ed what a wonderful, and talented lady. How she found time to be so involved in your families life and work just is amazing. Truly a beautiful lady.
  • A. Marie
    A. Marie Member Posts: 118
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

Dear Mayor Ed, thank you for sharing Carole's obituary with us. Just from reading your posts here, I had a fairly good idea of what her obituary would be like--but it far surpassed even my expectations. What a wonderful person she was. And what a wonderful person you are. 

I thought I'd also mention that one of my DH's fellow nursing home residents is a retired funeral home director who must have been a lot like your Konnie Kuiper. He founded his own funeral service after selling his first one to some "big boys." And, God bless him, he's still trying to do his job, even in dementia: He always introduces himself by name, asks who other people are, and walks the halls with other residents. Even when he's trying to get out of the ward, it's always to go to the cemetery, etc.

• JoseyWales
    JoseyWales Member Posts: 602
    Eighth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 25 Likes
    That obituary tells of a full life, well lived, with lots of love pouring through it. 

What an amazing tribute to her. Thank you so much for sharing it with us. 

• Last Dance
    Last Dance Member Posts: 135
    Legacy Membership 100 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions 5 Care Reactions
    Ed I am so happy you shared Carole's obituary with us. what a wonderful person she was, full of life, love, and compassion for all. You were blessed to have her, and she was blessed to have you. It was great for you to tell us about the kindness of Konnie Kuiper in this day and age it's great to know that there are still business that are interested in the care of there customers instead of just wanting to make a dollar. God's Blessings to you Richard
  • Marie58
    Marie58 Member Posts: 382
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments
    Thanks for sharing Carole's obit. What a beautiful tribute. She lived and loved well. Blessings to you all.
  • ImMaggieMae
    ImMaggieMae Member Posts: 1,015
    250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Care Reactions
    What a beautiful obituary. Thank you for letting us get to know Carole. What a wonderful tribute to a beautiful and talented woman.
  • saltom
    saltom Member Posts: 126
    100 Comments First Anniversary
    What an amazing woman. Thank you for posting her obituary.  It sounds as if you have 64 years of wonderful memories together and for your children.
  • Joe C.
    Joe C. Member Posts: 944
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    Ed, That is a beautiful tribute and details a very full and rewarding life. The two of you were lucky to have each other during life’s journey. Stay well my friend.
  • Sligo177
    Sligo177 Member Posts: 165
    100 Comments Second Anniversary

Ed,

Thank you for sharing your beautiful wife's obituary, such a great tribute to what I would guess was a powerhouse of a person!  God bless you and your family.

• KathyF1
    KathyF1 Member Posts: 104
    25 Care Reactions Second Anniversary 10 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions
    Thank you Ed for sharing your sweet wife’s obituary. Praying you’ll feel God’s peace and love. You had a wonderful wife, what a gift.
  • zauberflote
    zauberflote Member Posts: 272
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments 5 Likes
    Ed, what a wonderful woman she was. Thank you for sharing that!
  • zauberflote
    zauberflote Member Posts: 272
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments 5 Likes
    Ed, what a wonderful woman Carole was! Thank you for sharing.
  • Pam BH
    Pam BH Member Posts: 195

Ed, we already had an inkling of the wonderful person Carole was from your posts and her obituary paints the picture of someone we'd be honored to know. What a wonderful life you two had. My prayers for you and your children as you grieve and remember. What lovely memories you must have. 

How refreshing it is to hear of a business owner who cares about his clients. Yes, we need many more like him and many more like you who tell their story.

• Quilting brings calm
    Quilting brings calm Member Posts: 2,408
    500 Likes 1000 Comments Fourth Anniversary 250 Insightfuls Reactions

What a full life she lived.   A beautiful tribute.  

I hope you and your family can now remember her in her entirety not just the struggles of the last several years.  

• nancyj194
    nancyj194 Member Posts: 173
    Seventh Anniversary 100 Comments 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes

I am so glad you shared Carole's obituary with us along with her picture and that of your son. 

She had an amazing life, as did you.  

Please take care.

• Lane Simonian
    Lane Simonian Member Posts: 348
    Legacy Membership 100 Comments 25 Likes 5 Insightfuls Reactions

Thank you, Ed, for sharing with us the story of Carole's life.  She had many talents and had perhaps the most important characteristic of all--kindness.  I liked that her imaginary rock star husband was Rod Stewart as my wife idolizes Rod Stewart as well.

The goodness of a few people is especially important in times like this, so kudos to Konnie Kuiper.  

Thank you, Ed, for being a good friend to many of us here.  In these very sad times, your family will be of great comfort.

• mrahope
    mrahope Member Posts: 529
    Fourth Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments
    Thanks for sharing this.  Your beloved wife sounds like the kind of person we all aspire to be: caring and nurturing through kindness, work and her art.  My condolences to you and your family.
  • Lynne D
    Lynne D Member Posts: 276
    Lovely. Thank you for sharing.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia