Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Anyone have experience with robotic therapy pets?

billS
billS Member Posts: 180
Third Anniversary 100 Comments
At my wife's MC facility a couple of women have toy dogs and cats that look, move and make sounds like real animals. They respond to touch, barking or meowing and the cats even purr with vibration. These residents carry them around lovingly and obviously enjoy loving their pet as though they were real. Other residents are drawn to them as well, including my wife. But reviews suggest the mechanisms inside are not reliable in the long run. Do any of you have experience with these? Today a woman was carrying around her toy dog and even though it did not make any movements or sounds (dead batteries maybe?) she still acted as if it were a real pet, and my wife treated it that way as well. Here's a link to one source, I'd be interested in hearing others' experiences. https://www.alzstore.com/alzheimers-companion-pet-therapy-p/0604.htm?utm_source=google&utm_campaign=Campaign%20-%20PLA%20Shopping&utm_medium=pla

Comments

• jmlarue
    jmlarue Member Posts: 511
    100 Comments Second Anniversary 5 Likes

I had a tiny robotic kitten for the grandchildren. It was cute while it lasted - which wasn't very long. It ran on AA batteries. Cost me more in batteries than it originally cost. On the other hand - how does your wife feel about babies? At one time, years ago, I made custom baby dolls called "Reborns." They were extremely realistic, including adding weight to the fabric body so they weighed about 7 pounds, had soft silicone arms and legs, skin had hand painted blushing for realism, hand-rooted mohair on their heads that could be brushed, and smelled of baby powder. They are floppy and you have to support their head - just like a real baby. Mostly I sold to doll collectors, but this one time I was commissioned to make one for a man whose mother had ALZ. She adored that baby. No batteries. He chose one with closed eyes. She used to brag about what a good baby she was because she slept all the time and never cried. They wear newborn size diapers and newborn size baby clothes. Add a beautiful, soft baby blanket so she can be swaddled and cuddled.

Check these out (copy & paste to your browser): 

https://www.amazon.com/Paradise-Galleries-Magnetic-Pacifier-GentleTouch/dp/B07NQ3KK5H/ref=sr_1_53?crid=10C7D6XCF1Z2P&keywords=aori+reborn+baby+doll&qid=1656742689&sprefix=reborn,aps,201&sr=8-53

https://www.amazon.com/Paradise-Galleries-Magnetic-Pacifier-GentleTouch/dp/B092GYX64H/ref=sr_1_53?crid=10C7D6XCF1Z2P&keywords=aori+reborn+baby+doll&qid=1656742689&sprefix=reborn,aps,201&sr=8-53&th=1

• ImMaggieMae
    ImMaggieMae Member Posts: 1,015
    250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Care Reactions

I don’t have any experience with the robotic pets, but they sell a few different types on Amazon and there are lots of reviews there that might be worth reading.

jmlarue, I’ve seen and marveled over those lifelike baby dolls. Some are so realistic it’s hard to believe they aren’t real babies. Some are probably more durable than others, but at least they don’t have batteries. I suppose it would depend on how gentle the person was with them. I could see either the pets or the babies giving a lot of comfort to some people. In terms of value per hour for both the PWD and their caregivers, they could be a real bargain if they keep the person calm.

• harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 4,364
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes
    My dad's MCF had several "Joy for All Pets" that they handed out as needed. They weren't especially life-like but are very compelling especially for those with dementia. My mom-- not the parent with dementia-- used to play with them whenever we met with the DON as they lived in his office. They seemed pretty robust and popular with certain residents.

A dear friend's mom with dementia went through a phase where she fussed at the family cats which started to avoid her. I told her about the cats and she mentioned it to her niece who is a librarian whose library lends them out. She brought one over and mom was so delighted by it, she bought one for her. It lasted over a year until mom passed and my friend donated it to the library system so they'd have another to lend out.
  • JoseyWales
    JoseyWales Member Posts: 602
    Eighth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 25 Likes

I bought one of the Joy for All pet dogs. DH was obsessed with our dog, and I knew that when he moved to memory care the dog might be a good companion for him. I like the weight of it - there's more to it than a stuffed animal. It moves its head when it hears sound and makes its own little barks and movements. 

I bought it on Amazon warehouse - it had a badly damaged box but was brand new and I saved a bunch of money on it. They're expensive. I'm not sure it's worth what it would have cost if I hadn't bought the one with the damaged box.

DH is interested in it, and I'll bring it out and power it up sometimes. You can keep it powered without the noises, which is good because sometimes DH gets upset with the dog noise. These days he's just as happy to have it sit on his lap for a short time without any movements or noises. To be honest, he likes it for a short time but not longer. There are others in his facility who carry around baby dolls and a Joy for All cat that isn't turned on. Honestly, I'm probably more interested in the dog than DH is!

• billS
    Thanks for the feedback everyone. I think for now I'll hold off spending $125 for something that might stop working in 2-3 months.
  • Stuck in the middle
    Stuck in the middle Member Posts: 1,167
    1000 Comments Fifth Anniversary 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes
    There was a good article about the Joy For All robotic dogs in the New Yorker last year.  At least one health department is giving them to seniors who live alone.  Apparently, loneliness can be as unhealthy as smoking.  PWDs can enjoy them too, but some became concerned when the dog wasn't eating.  They are apparently quite realistic.
  • billS
    Stuck in the middle wrote:
    .... PWDs can enjoy them too, but some became concerned when the dog wasn't eating. ...

I hate to laugh at a dementia patient's expense, but that is funny!

• JoseyWales
    JoseyWales Member Posts: 602
    Eighth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 25 Likes

I was surprised at how realistic it is. When we walk around DHs facility with the dog, other residents will ask to pet it. I get the same reaction with the robotic dog that I get when I brought our REAL dog in. I haven't seen the cat in the facility when it's on, but when a resident has it on her lap it honestly looks pretty real. 

And my DH tries to shush the dog when I have the sound on.

• DJnAZ
    DJnAZ Member Posts: 139
    100 Comments Second Anniversary

My wife has two "pets" with her in the MC facility. She has always been a dog fanatic and rather than just pics of our dogs I found these almost life-like pets for her. Memorable Pets hand makes pet replicas that very closely resemble our two dogs, a Sheltie and most recently a Cairn Terrier. Wherever she goes during the day one of her pets is usually with her the staff told me.

These pets are not expensive and are very well made. Check them out at:

https://memorablepets.com/

Thanks to billS I have now figured out how to post a clickable link. 

• billS

Thank you DJnAZ, those do look good. To make a clickable link, In the "compose" window of my email program I click on "insert link", then paste in the link address, then copy it and paste it into here.

• Rescue mom
    Rescue mom Member Posts: 988
    500 Comments Fourth Anniversary 5 Likes

I thought of two different robot pets reading through here—the Joy For All robots, and the inexpensive toy animals  sold at mall kiosks and the like, cost maybe $20-$25. The toys were not very life-like at all, although they did move, and broke fast. I think they were more of a child toy (?) I got a couple for my mother with dementia and that was a waste.

The Joy for All pets are usually around $100-$125, and very realistic. I think these and a couple others are made for PWDs…Several  people in my moms facility got them and loved them.So did mom, so I got one for her and it was great. It’s much more “realistic” and responsive?  than the others..

Now my local Alzheimer’s Association gives Joy for All pets to a lot of PWDs  (I don’t know what factors go into that; maybe other places also donate.). And people in my IRL support group say those have been great for their family members.

• DJnAZ
    DJnAZ Member Posts: 139
    100 Comments Second Anniversary

It works! Thanks so much billS.

• MN Chickadee
    MN Chickadee Member Posts: 872
    Tenth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions
    My mother had a Joy For All cat in memory care. I totally recommend it. It lasted 2 years at which point mom died and I passed it on to another resident at her place because it was still in good shape. By that point its fur looked a little scraggly and I brushed it with an actual cat brush I use on my real life cats and it cleaned up great!  She was very rough on stuff and it still held up fine. I never changed the batteries once (can't remember if they were C or D batteries.) I was very pleased with the quality. Even if it hadn't lasted it would have been worth every penny. She adored it. The cat kept her attention and she cared for it and talked to it. It definitely seemed to fill a void for her, she always loved animals. Many others at her facility had them and they were always popular. For what it's worth she also loved her baby dolls. She dressed them in doll clothes and fed them and swaddled them. They also scratched an itch for her.
  • billS
    Thanks again everyone for the feedback. This morning while visiting my wife she was really admiring another woman's Joy For All dog, kept saying, "I just love it!" She couldn't stop petting it and chuckling at its sounds and motions. So when I got home I went ahead and ordered one for her. If she gets some pleasure out it, it will be money well spent.
  • Grandx7
    Grandx7 Member Posts: 35
    10 Comments First Anniversary
    I bought the golden retriever for my DH, embroidered the scarf that is around the dog’s neck with his dog’s name and he seems very happy with it.  This served a couple of purposes- there are other dogs on the floor and this lets the staff also call his dog by the correct name.  It makes me hope there will be a spark of remembrance of familiarity for him.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more