Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Giving back

Ed1937
Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Now it seems as though I'll have some free time, and I'd like to give back to the dementia community. I'm not sure if it's too early to consider this, or even if I'd be able to do it. But I was thinking about volunteering to give local caregivers a little free time from caregiving so they could run errands or just maybe take the time to go to breakfast or do something else. To the best of my knowledge there is nothing like this around here. If I could get started, maybe others who have some experience with caregiving might be interested in helping. This would be a free service, but I can't afford any legal problems.

I'm sure taking care of someone else's LO might be much different from taking care of my wife, and I don't know if that's something I can even do. But I'd like to try. I'm thinking of making an information sheet so I'd have an idea where the PWD is in the progression, and what the most difficult aspects might be. I'm looking for ideas on how to get started. I have no idea how many PWD there are nearby. After all, nobody puts posters in their window to let others know what they're dealing with. Ideas??

Comments

• Just Bill
    Just Bill Member Posts: 315
    100 Care Reactions 100 Comments Second Anniversary 25 Insightfuls Reactions
    Not only yes but F yes. You have definitely developed skills by default. I think it would be fantastic therapy for you and ease the burden of someone else. Your career picks you sometimes, not the other way around. Good luck with your new adventure !
  • Ed1937
    Thanks, Bill. I just told our daughter about my idea. She's on board to do it with me. Of course there are a lot of kinks to be worked out before we could actually get going with it.
  • Just Bill
    Just Bill Member Posts: 315
    100 Care Reactions 100 Comments Second Anniversary 25 Insightfuls Reactions
    That will be the fun part , figuring it all out. 
  • Buggsroo
    Buggsroo Member Posts: 573
    500 Comments 100 Care Reactions Third Anniversary 5 Insightfuls Reactions

Ed,

You would be a godsend to those whose partners have dementia. It is a wonderful thing for you to consider and a great way of honouring your partner. Good for you.

• Twin Mom
    Twin Mom Member Posts: 81
    Seventh Anniversary 10 Comments
    Our local hospice (non-profit..community supported) has volunteers that will sit for free with people while their loved-ones run errands etc....maybe a local one there does that also.
  • jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,768
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    great idea...

An avenue to check out would be Hospice. Some ofthem have volunteers.

• David J
    David J Member Posts: 479
    100 Comments Third Anniversary

Ed, there are a few groups near me that do “ friendly visits” to seniors and people with health problems keeping them at home. You may want to find one of these groups and volunteer to visit anybody dealing with dementia. Under the auspices of one of these groups, your insurance and liability issues may be covered. 

I admire your years of wonderful and faithful caregiving of your wife, your excellent participation on this board, and your desire to continue helping the dementia community. You are a special person. 

• ImMaggieMae
    ImMaggieMae Member Posts: 1,015
    250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Care Reactions

I have one question: How do we go about nominating Ed for sainthood? 

Most people who have lost someone to dementia want to get as far away from caregiving as possible, yet our Ed is right there, thinking of how to help others. I think there is a special place in heaven for people like you, Ed. 

• Ed1937
    MaggieMae, thank you. My wife slipped past stage 7, and passed from internal bleeding. No death certificate yet, but maybe an aneurysm. If she had gone all the way with dementia, I might not consider this.
  • Joe C.
    Joe C. Member Posts: 944
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    Ed, Prior to the first symptoms and through the very early stage of DW’s ALZ she spent 2 hours a week with a women who was in the late stages of Huntington’s Disease. A Local Counsel on Aging had a program where volunteers were match with people who needed companionship. This gave the women’s family caregivers a little break but DW was not required to provide any caregiving services beyond companionship. Perhaps you could look for some similar opportunity in your area.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • JoseyWales
    JoseyWales Member Posts: 602
    Eighth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 25 Likes
    I think it's a wonderful idea to give back. 

If the idea of helping others doesn't work out because of fears like Victoria mentioned, what about delivering for Meals on Wheels? I believe the people who deliver also do a little bit of visiting with the people they deliver to. And you might see needs that way that you could help out with. Just an idea that popped into my head.

• Cherjer
    Cherjer Member Posts: 227
    Seventh Anniversary 100 Comments 5 Likes
    Oh, Ed...you are golden! I think Josey had a great idea about delivery Meals on Wheels. You could visit with the recipients and have joy. My friend who lost his DW does this several times a week and finds it so satisfying. Use your valuable skills and compassion and does not need t o be someone with AD. Might be a break to help those who are lonely and not suffering from AD.
  • Joydean
    Joydean Member Posts: 1,498
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    Ed, you and your daughter are very special kind of people!  I wish you both success in what ever you decide to do. You have 2 very special angels in heaven that will be watching over you and all your family.
  • Jo C.
    Jo C. Member Posts: 2,916
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes

This is a wonderful heartfelt idea, Ed, once you have a little space between what has happened and a bit of respite.   It is a good idea to start slow in an established setting to get a feeling for how you feel about this in reality as things simmer down after your loss.

How is your at-home son doing, I recall you saying he helped with his mother; hope he is doing okay.

In the meantime, we here certainly can use your experiential expertise, especially with new Members.  As the next few weeks go by, you will feel what would be the best fit for you.

Wonderful, compassionate spirit; may you find what is best for ou and that gives you joy in your giving,

J.

• Ed1937
    Jo C. wrote: 

How is your at-home son doing, I recall you saying he helped with his mother; hope he is doing okay.

Jo, I think this thread is about ready to die. I'll start a new thread to make sure you see it. I will title it "Jo - about our son". Thanks for asking.

Thanks to everyone who replied. You gave me a lot to think about.

• Sligo177
    Sligo177 Member Posts: 165
    100 Comments Second Anniversary
    Ed, wow!  That is such a kind idea and you will be such a help.  My DH's latest caregiver had recently been her Mom's main caregiver, and lost her to Alzheimer's.   She was so intuitive and I was blessed to have her.  She came two  1/2 days a week.  I was talking to a relative and she knew this person, and that's how it happened.  Word of mouth as they say.  Good for you and I know you will be a gift to whoever you help.
  • zauberflote
    zauberflote Member Posts: 272
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments 5 Likes
    There is a group here, part of a franchise organization, called Seniors Helping Seniors. We got three WONDERFUL senior citizens for a couple of hours each per week, each of whom bonded with Mom in their own way. This was the last few months of Mom's life. They all had high level dementia care skills, and we paid them. You would be perfect for that if there is a branch near you.
  • billS
    billS Member Posts: 180
    Third Anniversary 100 Comments
    ImMaggieMae wrote:

I have one question: How do we go about nominating Ed for sainthood? 

Most people who have lost someone to dementia want to get as far away from caregiving as possible, yet our Ed is right there, thinking of how to help others. I think there is a special place in heaven for people like you, Ed. 

I second this sentiment! Ed you have contributed so much here and will likely continue to do so, you are truly a saint. I agree with others that perhaps volunteering with an organization or a MC facility that can "filter" out any potential liability or safety issues would be a good way to go. At my wife's facility there is a woman volunteer who comes several days a week and runs bingo games and provides treats for the winners.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more