Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

What Has Happened To Access For: Understanding The Dementia Experience.

Jo C.
Jo C. Member Posts: 2,916
Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes

Wow.  For the first time, Smashwords has changed the access to Jennifer Ghent- Fuller's brilliant writing, "Understanding The Dementia Experience."

Horribly difficult to access the link and confusing . . . . what the dickens I wonder.  This is such an important document which the author intentionally wanted to provide free of charge and easily to those in need.

So hope this can be fixed.

J.

Comments

• ButterflyWings
    ButterflyWings Member Posts: 1,752
    500 Likes Fifth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Insightfuls Reactions
  • harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 4,365
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes
    This link offers a download as a PDF or to an ereader-

Home | Thoughtful Dementia Care (understanding-dementia-experience.com)

• MaryG123
    MaryG123 Member Posts: 393
    100 Comments 5 Likes
    Thank you!  This is so helpful!
  • Jo C.
    Jo C. Member Posts: 2,916
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes

Thanks, but my point is that it is no longer an easy access and easy to read right out of the gate. Smashwords was sold to a new owner in February; it appears that they are not going to continue with the ease of access to this extremely important writing which was intentionally given free of charge by the author.  Hoping for sales of the book or just poor judgment not understanding caregivers and dementia dynamics?  Don't know.

Ease of access is very important.

Many people trying to find the way "in" to get the document will often be older and many not technically experienced and also that they do not have time for any frustration as they are up to their eyeballs in alligators trying to manage all the caregiving necessities and under tremendous time sensitive strain.

Just wish they would bring back the easy access with a single click on the link so searchers can get it with an clearly and easily get the marvelous writing.

J.

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    That sucks. I've been posting links that don't work now.
  • Beachfan
    Beachfan Member Posts: 790
    Sixth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    I haven’t had the need to navigate the site recently, but several years ago I printed out the article and copied it for good measure and for “lending out”.  If folks can access it for printing, I would advise they do so.  It is the single most valuable resource I have come across to understand Alz/Dementia and it is written with practicality in layman’s terms.  My copy is dog eared and highlighted; I have referred to, and quoted the section on “apathy”many, many times. That document and this forum have provided invaluable guidance to me during my DH’s long, slow journey.  I hope it doesn’t disappear as a resource.
  • jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,776
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    Always good to have a link...thanks
  • MaryG123
    MaryG123 Member Posts: 393
    100 Comments 5 Likes
    Here’s a pdf copy in case you want to print it.
  • saltom
    saltom Member Posts: 126
    100 Comments First Anniversary
    I was able to save this to my computer as a pdf file.  I opened up the link and hit copy under the edit menu options.
  • Dio
    Dio Member Posts: 683
    500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes Second Anniversary
    Hello, everyone, Thank you so much for this document!! I wish I had seen it earlier, before I made all the mistakes.
  • Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    Mary, thank you for the link. The link I've had forever just doesn't work anymore. Now I have a new one.
  • toolbeltexpert
    toolbeltexpert Member Posts: 1,583
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

JO C is there anyway this pdf could be hosted on this site as a resource?

Jo C. wrote:

Wow.  For the first time, Smashwords has changed the access to Jennifer Ghent- Fuller's brilliant writing, "Understanding The Dementia Experience."

Horribly difficult to access the link and confusing . . . . what the dickens I wonder.  This is such an important document which the author intentionally wanted to provide free of charge and easily to those in need.

So hope this can be fixed.

J.

• storycrafter
    storycrafter Member Posts: 273
    Ninth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes
    It is an Alzconnected uploaded file.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset