Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

VA compensation for dementia?

My DH is disabled vet because of 52 years of diabetes, acquired during his military service.  

He also has been suffering from  a damaged retina, caused by the diabetes for about 20 years.

He has vascular dementia, no doubt caused by the diabetes  (stage 5 of dementia according to Tam Cummings assessment tool).

As a progression of the diabetes about 6 months ago he went to stage 3 kidney disease and has to severely restrict diet, especially use of salt.  

He already gets VA compensation for the diabetes and retina.  The VA social worker is suggesting that the compensation could go up substantially for the kidney disease and the dementia - maybe enough to pay for long term care.

The social worker had us see a Service Officer, which I gather is a non-military advocate.  As a result of that we are now scheduled for tests to review the diabetes, the retina, and the kidney damage.  However I see no tests that would cover the dementia portion.

Does anyone have any experience with this?  I am a little nervous because I don't want to jeopardize current compensation.  If they are not going to take into consideration the dementia then I'm wondering if I should wait to apply for more help if and when the kidneys get worse? 

thanks

Comments

• dayn2nite2
    dayn2nite2 Member Posts: 1,132
    Eighth Anniversary 1000 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes

Did you ask the Social Worker on what basis they're suggesting the dementia is as a result of diabetes?

Because I have not seen anything where the general medical community has accepted that any kind of dementia is a normal byproduct of diabetes.

Eye problems - Yes
    Kidneys - Yes
    Neuropathy - Yes
    Wound Healing - Yes

Here is information from Mayo Clinic, and it is only addressing Alzheimer's (not vascular dementia, which is different).

• Alzheimer's disease. Type 2 diabetes may increase the risk of dementia, such as Alzheimer's disease. The poorer your blood sugar control, the greater the risk appears to be. Although there are theories as to how these disorders might be connected, none has yet been proved.
  • Rick4407
    Rick4407 Member Posts: 241
    Sixth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Likes 25 Care Reactions

Hello Soul Mate,  I am a disabled vet and receive a small compensation. Your best source of information is probably the VSO who you saw.   The amount of compensation is limited to 100% disabled.  Even with multiple disabilities he can receive no more than 100%.  

The VA does have nursing homes in many states and some have memory care.  They would be free.   You can google search for those in your state, or again ask your VSO.  The VSO free and is your friend, he/she is the best help you will receive.  

Additional disabilities would not risk his current disabilities.  Rick         

• jmlarue
    jmlarue Member Posts: 511
    100 Comments Second Anniversary 5 Likes

I worked with a great VSO from Disabled American Vets (DAV). The magic formula for receiving his initial disability rating was based on his service in Vietnam. The VA now must presume and grant service connected disability for a variety of medical conditions that are presumed are related to Agent Orange exposure. If your DH had  service in-country during rhe Vietnam conflict, this is something your VSO needs to pursue. If not, the next best option is to file for a disabiliy claim under the "Unemployability" option based upon the Diabetes and the other disabling conditions attendant to that - including the retinopathy, neuropathy, kidney disease and vascular damage leading to dementia from micro-vascular stokes. The Unemployability automatically results in a rating of 100% disability and it is a permanent status. Trying to get a 100% disability rating otherwise is very difficult. Once he receives that Unemployability award, there are no subsequent medical reviews and no chance of his rating or benefits being reduced.

A 100% disability rating qualifies him for LTC in a VA nursing facility free of charge. It also allows you to file to be his Fiduciary so that you would control the financial aspects of his disability pay to assure his bills are paid and he does not become a victim of fraud. You also can apply to receive a Caregiver stipend payment monthly as his primary caregiver. This is money that is yours and yours alone to pay for the care you provide and can help to pay for hiring help to give you respite or even a weekly housekeeper to aid you. The 100% rating also conveys a burial benefit, fully paid medical and prescription services through the VA, and survivor's pension and benefits for you and other dependents. There's more the VSO can tell you about.

The Holy Grail of VA disability is a 100% permanent disability rating. Your VSO should be able to help you get that and also help with any appeals if necessary. If your VSO has not mentioned it, yet, ask about the "Unemployability" option.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more