Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Oh happy day

M1
M1 Member Posts: 6,723
1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

First good report in a long time.  I took lunch today, trying to keep my expectations low--and for the first time since March, we had a really good visit.  She didn't eat a bite--doesn't matter (although they are monitoring her for weight loss).  She was glad to see me, relieved to see me, doesn't remember the farm or the animals.  Bought the story that I am remodeling, looking for a new place to live, staying with my daughter and her children temporarily, having to go back to the office to work (that was my excuse for leaving after an hour).  Accompanied me to the door, wanted to go with me, but wasn't at my throat the whole time.  Says she needs to come see the remodeling as soon as possible to make sure it's being done right.  As in, square and level to the 16th of an inch.

Now the question is can we translate this into something more than a one-off.  But for now, I'll take it.  I feel like I had her back, if just for an hour.

Comments

• Joe C.
    Joe C. Member Posts: 944
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    M1, I am happy to hear that you had a good visit. You certainly were due for a WIN!
  • jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,768
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    Wonderful!
  • Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    That might possibly be the best news I've seen here. I'm thrilled for you!!
  • Quilting brings calm
    Quilting brings calm Member Posts: 2,408
    500 Likes 1000 Comments Fourth Anniversary 250 Insightfuls Reactions

Wonderful!  That’s got to be good for your soul today.  

Amazing though that she has forgotten so much already 

• jmlarue
    jmlarue Member Posts: 511
    100 Comments Second Anniversary 5 Likes
    There's been so much trial and tribulation for you. It's terrific to hear about a winning hand for you. Best wishes you can continue to build on this break-through.
  • Stuck in the middle
    Stuck in the middle Member Posts: 1,167
    1000 Comments Fifth Anniversary 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes
    I'm so happy for you.
  • Scooterr
    Scooterr Member Posts: 168
    100 Comments Second Anniversary 5 Likes
    M1 that's great news to here!! If anyone needs it you sure deserve it my friend. I hope you have many more to come.  Heck I'm still smiling, I'm truly happy for you.
  • toolbeltexpert
    toolbeltexpert Member Posts: 1,583
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    M1 that made me smile. I am so happy for you. My dw keeps saying she needs to get out in the shop. She has a full array of tools. Band saw. Scroll saw. Router, paragraph, lathe, ect. She hasn't  made anything in several years. Here's a word not many will recognize, sigogglin. Bet your wife would know it.
  • Jeff86
    Jeff86 Member Posts: 684
    Fourth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes
    I could not be happier, to read your post, M1.   It has been ages since you had anything good to report, so this win must be extra sweet.  I hope there are more such good experiences for you both in the near future.
  • M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,723
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

I'll ask her TBC--I didn't know that one!  Had to look it up.  Cattywhampus is similar!  She has a lot of extremely colorful expressions but I've never heard her use that one.  She used to spend a lot of time in the mountains though.  In her many pre-building careers, she started an artisanal craft shop in Nashville in the late '60's--and a big crafts fair that goes on to this day--and used to drive through the mountains in Virginia, Kentucky, North Carolina, and Tennessee with her little dog to find artists she heard about by word of mouth.  They would let her bring things back to Nashville to sell on consignment, based on pure trust.  Nary a contract signed anywhere.  We still have some absolutely wonderful pieces from those days.

• ButterflyWings
    ButterflyWings Member Posts: 1,752
    500 Likes Fifth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Insightfuls Reactions

Yesss!!!

• Joydean
    Joydean Member Posts: 1,498
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

M1 I am so very happy for you and your dear wife! What a day and what a blessing that has to be for you! God does answer prayers, just not in the time frame we want! You news has made my day! Thank you for sharing! 

• Jo C.
    Jo C. Member Posts: 2,916
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes

M; I am so delighted to hear your news that my toes are wiggling in joy!   This may be the turning point that may be permanent.  I hope this is so.  How pleased and relieved you must have been to have such a good visit.

J.

• Buggsroo
    Buggsroo Member Posts: 573
    500 Comments 100 Care Reactions Third Anniversary 5 Insightfuls Reactions
    Wonderful news M1. Hope this keeps up.
  • ImMaggieMae
    ImMaggieMae Member Posts: 1,015
    250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Care Reactions
    That is great news, M1. It’s a good start to her settling in where she is and accepting the situation. I’m so happy for you both.
  • harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 4,364
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes
    Yay!

Here's hoping this is the new normal.
    (my dad was tough, but once he settled into the routine, the anger never re-surfaced-- may that be your experience as well-- fingers crossed)

HB
  • May flowers
    May flowers Member Posts: 758
    500 Comments Third Anniversary
    That is great news, M1, I’m glad you had such a good visit and hope that you’ll have many more like it.
  • Beachfan
    Beachfan Member Posts: 790
    Sixth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    Hooray!!!! I was hoping she would “come around”; now let’s hope and pray for a complete 360.
  • Pam BH
    Pam BH Member Posts: 195
    100 Comments Second Anniversary
    M1, my heart did a leap for joy when I saw your topic title.  So happy for you and pray it continues every visit to be better and better

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more