Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Mom wants to go home

daless
daless Member Posts: 1 Member

Mom has VD and in the last two weeks has been asking for my dad (gone 20 years).  Now she has had a minor stroke.  Very weak on one side and this has affected her ability to eat, talk etc. She keeps asking why her arm isn't moving.  On Saturday, she told me she is waiting for my Dad to come pick her up and take her home.  At first, I thought this was part of the delusion that he was still around but then she said just missed him so much.  He truly was the love of her life.  Just so sad for her....

Comments

• toolbeltexpert
    toolbeltexpert Member Posts: 1,583
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    Daless welcome to the forum,and I am sorry for your dm decline, it is definitely hard. This is the place to open up. Prayers for you both.
  • May flowers
    May flowers Member Posts: 758
    500 Comments Third Anniversary
    Daless, it is so sad when they do this - my FIL also asks for his wife almost daily (gone 5 years, and oldest son (gone 20 years). Asks where his dad is too. Sometimes, it is clear he has forgotten they are gone, but sometimes he is so sad when he asks, it makes me think he does remember. It is hard (((hugs)))
  • Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Daless, welcome to the forum. Sorry you're dealing with this, but you found a good place to be. This may be the best forum in all of cyber land.

I know that was painful for you to hear. If you haven't read this, please do. https://www.alzconnected.org/uploadedFiles/understanding-the-dementia-experience.pdf 

• Sligo177
    Sligo177 Member Posts: 165
    100 Comments Second Anniversary

Hi daless,

That sounds truly sad.  I'm sorry you are in this situation, as well as your DM.  Welcome to the forum, we know it's so difficult and we are here when you need to talk.  Prayers for a more peaceful day for you.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more