Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Remembering will have to do

Crushed
Crushed Member Posts: 1,444
Tenth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Likes 100 Care Reactions
It is now 4 full years since DW had any idea who I was
She chews what you put in her mouth and she walks with someone holding her arm 
That's it.   But she looks lovely, she is clean and well taken care of.  There are a few grey hairs.I am heading to England and Germany on Sunday to lecture and intellectually recharge. 

I will stay at a nice hotel in London that is part of a chain.   In 1979 I was teaching in London and staying at the old  Royal Hotel, part of the same chain . The hotel was slated for demolition and was.  to put a word on it,   DECAYING.  But it had cheap single rooms and lots of academics stayed there.  DW was coming over for a meeting So I told the manager I needed to move to a double room since my wife was coming .  I got a look that said
"You are bringing your  WIFE here?  Are you looking for a divorce?  

But they agreed to move my suitcases.  I went to Heathrow and came back with DW.  When we went to the room we realized the staff had gone across the street to the fancy Imperial Hotel  (same chain) and gotten all brand new linens and  furnishings and toiletries and flowers.  !!!

I might be a slacker husband but they had Standards.  After that I never stayed at any other hotel chain in London.   Memories are wonderful.  I tell the desk people the story every time I go.    

What memories keep you going?   

Comments

• Pam BH
    Pam BH Member Posts: 195
    100 Comments Second Anniversary

When I transferred from a government facility in Maryland to a government facility in Norfolk, it was to a converted aircraft hangar where the top floor was just one big room with rows and rows of desks.  My first day I was directed to my desk right in the middle. I noticed a lot of people were watching and snickering, and I later found out why. DH’s desk had been right behind mine, but because he was known in those days as quite the ladies man the bosses decided to move his desk two rows behind mine.  In between us was the nicest, sweetest older grandfather-type man.  To the bosses’ horror the move didn’t work. DH always had a reason to talk to me about work, and the sweet man behind me would always give him room to sit at his desk.  We’ve been together 48 years and married 38.  Thanks, Crushed, for the memory. It’s been a tough week and I needed that.

• Davegrant
    Davegrant Member Posts: 203
    Sixth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Likes 25 Care Reactions

What memories keep you going?

My memories is about shared emotional security. My DW in the beginning contributed the emotional strength and I contribute the organized approach that allowed us to function as one and for the most part be effective. We have not always contributed equally in our 55 years of marriage. In the first five years she carried the load due to my active alcoholism.  My fifty years of sobriety has prepared me to carry the last five or however many years. I think it was planned.

• Beachfan
    Beachfan Member Posts: 790
    Sixth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    When I was a freshman in college, and DH was a junior, I had a boyfriend back home and DH had just been dumped by a pert and perky cheerleader on campus.  We started hanging out, soda dates, long walks and talking. After several months, we were an “item”.  When we parted for Christmas vacation, DH, impatient, gave me a month to fall in love with him. I complied, going home and breaking it off with the “ boyfriend” who had been cheating on me as well. That was almost 58 years ago, but the memory is vivid. DH no longer knows me, we just marked our 54th wedding anniversary, and he is still my first and only true love. Memories are bittersweet.
  • DrinaJGB
    DrinaJGB Member Posts: 425
    100 Comments First Anniversary
    I was in the back of the rental Peugeot with 3 others. We stopped to cross the border at Strasbourg to go into Germany. It was night, and I was sitting behind DH who was then a good friend. As we handed over our passports to be checked, I glanced at DH/then friend getting his passport out of his wallet. I was struck like a ton of bricks at the sight of  those hands, and the knowledge that they were the ones I wanted to be with forever. It was that simple. I have never forgotten that feeling of total and complete revelation. A year later we were together as a couple; a friendship that grew into love.
  • Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    My memory is simple. I'm sure it's because I recently lost her, but I remember how I would just hold her, and she would put her head on my chest, feeling safe and secure. What wouldn't I give for that to happen again.
  • M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,723
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions
    Nice thread Crushed.  I feel lucky that I have so many good ones to choose from, hard to pick a favorite.  Being paired with her was kinda like hitching a ride on a skyrocket, or as the Toby Keith line goes, "Get in, sit down, shut up, and hang on."  How lucky am I that we had 20+ spectacular years together before dementia started taking its awful toll.
  • Just Bill
    Just Bill Member Posts: 315
    100 Care Reactions 100 Comments Second Anniversary 25 Insightfuls Reactions
    For me it isn't one single memory that stands out, it was her sense of humor. We have had the normal ups and downs of any relationship but having the same sense of humor has bonded us. Even now with her brain as scrambled as it is we can still crack each other up.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more