Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Weight loss(3)

David J
David J Member Posts: 479
100 Comments Third Anniversary

While my wife was home, before MC, she went through a period of rapid weight loss. 40 lbs in 6 months, size 6 to size 2.  Working with her doctors, we kept her weight stable with supplements and calorie dense food. 

Once in MC, she started to lose weight again, and we’ve been trying the same tactics of keeping her intake up. She walks constantly and seems to working off more calories than she is taking in. She will eat her meals including seconds, then go back to walking. 

This week, I helped the nurse put her on a scale, and I was shocked at how much more she has lost. She is down to 75 lbs. with her clothes on. I know the staff is trying to fatten her up, but it doesn’t seem to be working. I don’t know what to do, other than continue or increase the high calorie foods. 

Comments

• riajean
    riajean Member Posts: 98
    Eighth Anniversary 10 Comments 5 Care Reactions
    David, I've read that weight loss is something those with advanced dementia experience.  You don't say where your wife is at (if you know) and I'm wondering if it's due to what's going on inside.  My husband in late stage 6 is also losing weight.  I'm told he always has seconds but he, too, is losing weight and he, too, walks a lot.  Hopefully the staff can help her maintain a reasonable weight as it's dangerous for her to be so thin.  Certainly there are protein drinks with high calories that can help ---- maybe?  Thinking about you.
  • Phoenix1966
    Phoenix1966 Member Posts: 198
    Third Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes

I saw this happen to my grandmother last November(who was probably at 6e at that point) and it was the beginning of the end for her. I believe she was suffering from cachexia, where her body no longer had the ability to absorb enough nutrients from her intake. 

She ate voraciously, was only mobile for short bursts of time(unlike the activity level of your LO) and had enormous bowel movements. Literally, nothing was sticking. She passed away a few weeks later after a weight loss that we could do nothing to stop. 

I found this online pamphlet a little helpful in my situation:

https://www.westernsydney.edu.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0004/77026/Weight_Loss_pamphlet_A4_format.pdf

• David J
    David J Member Posts: 479
    100 Comments Third Anniversary

riajean, my wife is late stage 6. She is still ay past being able to help me figure this out. I am afraid that I wont be able to stop and reverse her weight loss. If she gets ill, she may not have reserves to fight it. If she falls, she has no padding and has osteoporosis. I am at a loss what more to do. 

Phoenix, thanks for the link. Too much of it is spot on. 

Dave

• Arrowhead
    Arrowhead Member Posts: 361
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes
    My wife, who is in early stage 6, also eats a lot and walks a lot and has lost a lot of weight. I don't worry about it, though. I just accept it as part of her progression.
  • riajean
    riajean Member Posts: 98
    Eighth Anniversary 10 Comments 5 Care Reactions
    Dave, I hear your panic and deep feelings of watching this in your wife with no means to control or stop it.   All I can offer are my prayers for your strength as there is no way out of this disease, we both know it.  It hurts like hell to see our LO's waning knowing all we can do is watch.  Lately, my dreams have been filled with preparation for which there is none, but one day that call will come and he will be gone, after years and years of watching, hurting, grieving, caring, praying, crying and more, and knowing I'll need family and friends by my side helping me.  Dave, your wife is so sick and the best you can give her is your time, your love, your touch, your embrace and help her through these changes.  Thinking of you.
  • Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    David, I'm sorry. I can say nothing except that you will both be in my thoughts and prayers.
  • Jeff86
    Jeff86 Member Posts: 684
    Fourth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

I am right with you on this one, David.  My DW has lost 20 pounds over an 8 month period.   She is late stage 6 too, but she has low energy and doesn’t walk much before getting tired.   She no longer has an appetite for the carbs she used to enjoy—bread, pasta and the like.  When we feed her, she only opens her mouth enough to ‘sip’ her food, so it’s soup, yogurt, applesauce, ice cream and the like.  And three Ensures every day. 

I don’t think she’s getting significantly fewer calories.  I think it’s cachexia—another manifestation of disease progression.   I had a long time ago come to accept my inability to slow the slide of memory loss and executive function but this is a new manifestation of the helplessness I feel in trying to help my DW through this terrible disease.   

Hang tough, brother.   I am right beside you.

• CStrope
    CStrope Member Posts: 487
    100 Care Reactions Third Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

I'm wondering what you all have noticed about loss of senses.  I feel like my DH doesn't have a very good sense of smell any more, and question his sense of taste too.  He has not had COVID, so it isn't from that!!  

I know if I'm sick and not smelling or tasting good, food is not as alluring to me.  

I notice my DH (stage 5), really doesn't have a lot of interest in food.  He eats, and eats well, but doesn't search out food to satisfy himself.

• toolbeltexpert
    toolbeltexpert Member Posts: 1,583
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    My dw had a quick loss earlier in the year because I got sick. Because We were not going out to eat. It has taken 6 months and a lot of ice cream to get it back. But lately her taste is off, a lot of food is bitter? I worry if she does keep a high calorie intake she would lose weight quick.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more