Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Follow up on robotic therapy pets

billS
billS Member Posts: 180
Third Anniversary 100 Comments

In a previous thread I asked for others' experiences with these robotic toy animals as companions for dementia patients. I have watched my wife showing interest in a robotic toy dog and cat that others in her MC facility have, so I went ahead and presented her with her own puppy yesterday morning. It moves its head, barks, blinks its eyes, pants, wags its tail and even has a heart beat, all completely randomized and triggered by voice or touch. Sorry the video quality is lacking. My wife immediately snuggled it and said she was going out to show it to the others! I didn't feel it appropriate to video the other residents, but she proudly showed it off, and the staff made a fuss over it. Then she carried it around on our outside walk, but kept dozing off as usual. I left her inside in a recliner petting her pup and saying, "I just love her" and kissing the top of its head! I left feeling like I'd scored a win!

Comments

• Jo C.
    Jo C. Member Posts: 2,916
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes

Bill, this is so sweet!   How delighted you must be with your wife's reaction to this wonderful surprise gift.

A big winner; you are a dear and caring husband and your wife is blessed to have you by her side and as her advocate.  Thank you for sharing.

J.

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    Bill, that's an excellent video! Obviously she loves it very much. It's worth every penny you spent on it. I'm glad she's so happy with it. Big win!
  • JoseyWales
    JoseyWales Member Posts: 602
    Eighth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 25 Likes

That's the exact same puppy I got my husband!

Thank you so much for sharing the video. I loved her reaction to meeting her new pet!

• toolbeltexpert
    toolbeltexpert Member Posts: 1,583
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    That was beautiful, your choice was perfect as your dw reaction show. So happy for you Bill.
  • harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 4,364
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes
    BillS-

That look of delight on her face makes her even more beautiful.

I'm so happy she loves it. 

HB
  • Joe C.
    Joe C. Member Posts: 944
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    Bill, That is great!
  • Joydean
    Joydean Member Posts: 1,498
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Bill, your dear wife loves her new puppy! She looks so happy with her surprise! That is a really big win!

Thank you for sharing! 

• Cherjer
    Cherjer Member Posts: 227
    Seventh Anniversary 100 Comments 5 Likes

That is wonderful Bill! So happy you are making your wife happy! I can see it on your face. God love you!

• jmlarue
    jmlarue Member Posts: 511
    100 Comments Second Anniversary 5 Likes
    Awesome win for both of you. I'm so happy for you and your DW. Clearly, it was love at first sight.
  • billS
    Thank you all so very much for your kind replies. Yes definitely was love at first sight and it really was a lift for me so see Fern's loving response to her puppy. The great thing is that everyone else - residents, staff and other visitors - can't help but respond positively to a cute puppy, so it generates more social interaction for Fern. I plan to visit tomorrow and will report back on how Fern and puppy are getting on, (and how the batteries are holding up!)
  • billS

I visited Fern this morning I was delighted to see her interacting with another resident via the puppy. She was joking with the fellow in the next chair that her dog would protect him! I had a big bunch of flowers for Fern but it was hard to get her attention away from puppy. Then when we were walking outside one guy asked her how old the dog was. I told him I thought around 6 months, which seemed to make sense to him! 

https://photos.smugmug.com/Misc/i-nSzT49m/0/0440b5f9/O/Fern%27s%20Puppy.jpg

• Stuck in the middle
    Stuck in the middle Member Posts: 1,167
    1000 Comments Fifth Anniversary 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes
    That smile is worth $125
  • Joydean
    Joydean Member Posts: 1,498
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    What a beautiful and happy lady you have there Mr Bill! Oh, and yes a cute puppy too! Thank you so very much for sharing!
  • Jo C.
    Jo C. Member Posts: 2,916
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes

What a wonderful photograph; and Bill, your Fern is beautiful!   Love the big smile; you made a great choice - well done!

J.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney