Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Memantine(1)

ImMaggieMae
ImMaggieMae Member Posts: 1,015
250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Care Reactions

My husband has been taking Memantine for about 2 years, first 5mg in the am and then an additional 5mg in the evening was added later by his PCP. He is somewhere around stage 6. His Neurologist’s office added an additional 5mg to his AM dose at the end of June. We started noticing some empathy was returning within several days of taking the increased dose. It’s been almost a year since he’s expressed any empathy at all. This hasn’t been just one occasion, but several times. He also is talking more in sentences rather than just a couple words. 

We had a 2 hour appointment at his Nuerologist’s office today, meeting first with the NP and then with the Nuerologist. Both asked him various questions and did a few basic tests with eye movement, etc. Both were able to see an improvement over his last visit a couple months ago. They are increasing his dose to 10mg at night as well as the 10mg he’s now taking in the morning, starting at the end of the month.

I thought that Memantine only slowed progression. I never knew if it was doing anything or not. Has anyone else had this experience?

Comments

• Cherjer
    Cherjer Member Posts: 227
    Seventh Anniversary 100 Comments 5 Likes
    My dh has taken memantine since he was first diagnosed in 2015. He now takes 28 mg ER at night. I am not sure if it is still working for him but continue to take. We no longer go to a neurologist but I remember him saying to stay on the AD medication (also Exelon patch). So I will not quit these medications for my DH.
  • JJ401
    JJ401 Member Posts: 312
    Sixth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Care Reactions
    DH takes this. 10mg morning. 10mg night.
    I think it held off progression for a while, but it doesn’t seem to be working as well now.

Has anyone bought this from Mark Cuban’s CostPlus pharmacy? 

• Joydean
    Joydean Member Posts: 1,498
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

My dh takes the same. (10mg morning and 10 at night)He also takes escitalopram 25mg in am for depression and olanzapine at bedtime (which for dh is between 7-8) . The donepezil for memory I don’t think does anything! 

These combinations seem to be helping and he seems to be nicer and definitely not having all the panic attacks and hallucinations. 

• Berryette
    Berryette Member Posts: 47
    10 Comments First Anniversary

We didn't seem to have the good experiences with Memantine that you all are posting- so I am wondering what you think I should do.  My husband's PCP started him on 10mg in the a.m.  He seemed to do fine with that.  A month later, the neurologist added 10mg at night.  Within a couple days-- I noticed hubby just sitting and staring off into space.  I asked him what was up- he said that he feels like he is "way out there".  So I stopped the night time dose and told neuro.  He was better, but then last week he was feeling that way again- so I stopped the med altogether.  At least he doesnt feel drugged and out of it.  Should I have kept going to see if he got over that side effect?  He had been on it for 2 months.  I am still new to this forum- my husband is 80 if that helps with your suggestions.  thanks

• ImMaggieMae

Something else I should mention is that his urinary incontinence during the day is almost gone. He hasn’t had a bowel accident in almost a month. Those were only occasional anyway, maybe once every few weeks, since the doctor upped his Risperidone dose 3 months ago. After about 9:00 pm when we’re sitting and watching tv he will often have urinary accidents, maybe because we’re sitting for a long period of time and also during the night. He always wears Depends, so they’re easily changed.

Berryette, I noticed one side effect where he will occasionally doze off for a few minutes, and then wake up on his own but seems alert, not dazed afterward. I noticed it maybe 3 or 4 times a day when it started, almost always in the morning, but maybe once or twice in recent days. He hasn’t mentioned feeling dazed when I asked him, just said, “Guess I nodded off.”   The neurologist’s NP said it could be a side effect of the increased dose since one of the side effects listed is sleepiness. She didn’t think it was the Risperidone increase since that was 3 months ago and that hasn’t caused any sleepiness that I know of except at night when he goes to bed. But everyone is different and reacts differently to all of these drugs. If all is still going well over the next couple weeks we’ll go with the increased dose at night as well. 

• Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

When I began Namenda in 2009, I was advanced 5 mg a week until I reached 20 mg.  I developed insomnia at 20 mg, so I started back at 5 mg and advanced 5 mg every two weeks until I reached 20 mg, 10 mg am and pm.  After that, I have had no side effects.  It is a brain medication, I believe one must go slowly in advancing to the therapeutic dosage.  Now, I am taking memantine 28 mg ER.

Iris

• ImMaggieMae
    Iris, could you feel a difference while the dosage was being increased? If so, what did it feel like?
  • Joydean
    Joydean Member Posts: 1,498
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

When dh’s dr started him on it 5mg for about 6 months in am, then added 5mg at pm. For another 6to8 months. Four months ago increased to 10mg am and pm. The best thing I have noticed is dh will take showers more without me having to push! That’s definitely a great thing! 

We see his psychiatrist every 3 to 4 months so he does monitor dh’s meds very closely. 

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more