Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Garden Pics

2»

Comments

• Jo C.
    Jo C. Member Posts: 2,916
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes

Oh, oh, oh!!!!!  I don't know where to start - how beautiful - and how beautiful the spirit of the people who create and care for such gardens.   I love trees and gardens . . . Carole's shade garden would be a perfect place of peace for me if I had such a place, but our property in SoCal is the size of a hankerchief, no way to do that here AND I would have to learn how.  Carole was an amazing person as I found by reading her obituary and now by seeing her garden, I can only imagine how deeply gifted she was.

Thank you everyone for sharing your photos, they are really giving me a sense of joy and I will be coming back to look at them again and again.  Gosh; we could actually create a calendar of the Members gardens . . . .

I can only imagine the peace that would come in sitting quietly, recouping one's spirit in such a garden's peace and serenity.  Heaven must smile at these dear places of one's heart and labor.

Thank you; I feel like I know you better by the photos which indicates some of the best of the human spirit.  It takes care and caring to continue to nurture such places.   You are all awesome.

J.

• Jeff86
    Jeff86 Member Posts: 684
    Fourth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

Right side up, this time

• nancyj194
    nancyj194 Member Posts: 173
    Seventh Anniversary 100 Comments 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes

What a lovely garden escape. Thank you all for sharing.  I enjoyed each and every picture. 

BethL, I enjoyed your garden path and smiled when I saw the distance for Estes Park. I live not far from there and have driven there so many times over the years.  

The others who shared, thank you too! they were all beautiful.  

• Jo C.
    Jo C. Member Posts: 2,916
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes

Oh no, it looks as though some of the garden pics have disappeared - is there any way we can get them back?   I would love to see them all again.

J.

• Fairyland
    Fairyland Member Posts: 178
    100 Comments First Anniversary
    Hi Ed, I think that is a daylily, also called orange ditch lily but I think that is an unusual form of the ordinary orange ones. Does each flower only last one day? Really beautiful!
  • Beachfan
    Beachfan Member Posts: 790
    Sixth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    I love seeing the garden pictures.  As DH progressed, we were forced to sell our home of 32 years where DH had maintained lush, expansive gardens.  Many of the plantings were perennials and I always remember our neighbor’s mantra: “perennials - - first year they sleep, then they creep, finally they leap.” Sadly, the fellow who bought our property didn’t maintain it and I can no longer make myself drive by for old times sake.  Keep those pictures coming!
  • Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    Fairyland wrote:
    Hi Ed, I think that is a daylily, also called orange ditch lily but I think that is an unusual form of the ordinary orange ones. Does each flower only last one day? Really beautiful!

I know this variety hasn't been around a long time. We actually took a trip to the man's garden who developed this variety. He was outside of Evansville, IN, which is on the southern tip of the state. We're on the northern tip. I'm not sure if the blooms last one day, but I know they don't last long. And there are a lot of blooms. We have a lot of tiger lilies, but they can't compare.

• Ed1937
    OK, now a question. I'm not much of a gardener, but I think I can just cut the root ball in two to get two plants, is that right? If so, is there a best time of year to do that? I'd like to plant some of these at my wife's grave, since she loved them so much.
  • M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,723
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions
    Ed you should be able to successfully divide them in the fall--October or November.  I think that's a nice idea.  I have peonies that are fifth generation--started out in my grandmother's garden, then then to two of my parents' homes, then one of my former homes, now the farm.
  • billS
    billS Member Posts: 180
    Third Anniversary 100 Comments
  • billS
    Fern and I always enjoyed vegetable gardening. That is her about 15 years ago proudly showing off a giant broccoli head.
  • jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,768
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

M1....beautiful barn...is that an old Hex sign?

Ed...$100 dollars? Wow. I think the foliage looks like a hemerocallis but my mother was the gardener. Thanks for the reminder about a shade garden. Hostas are such good plants. My favorite is Sum and Substance. Looks like that might be one behind your son on his right.

Koi? are they difficult to keep?

Bill...one head of brocolli? State Fair?

• Ed1937
    jfkoc wrote:
    My favorite is Sum and Substance. Looks like that might be one behind your son on his right.

I don't think that one is Sum and Substance. But she had probably four or five of those, and several other varieties of hostas, along with other things that I can't name. Those Sum and Substance hostas get huge!

• jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,768
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    Yes they do and like white flowers they can be enjoyed with a little lite at night.
  • Ed1937
    jfkoc wrote:

My favorite is Sum and Substance. Looks like that might be one behind your son on his right.

Oh! you're talking about the one in the background. Yes, I think that's what it is. The last I heard is that there are one and a half billion varieties of hosta. She had all but two.

• billS
    jfkoc wrote:

Bill...one head of brocolli? State Fair?

Yes, that's a single head. My favorite variety is Arcadia which usually has huge heads and loads of nice side heads after the main one is harvested.
  • MaryG123
    MaryG123 Member Posts: 393
    100 Comments 5 Likes
    They are shubunkin goldfish, much smaller and easier to keep than koi.
  • M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,723
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

jfkoc it looks like an old hex sign, but she made it when she built the barn.  It's held up really well in the weather, it's probably 15 years old at this point.

I've always wanted koi/goldfish, but we have so many critters--raccoons and otters primarily--that we didn't think they stood a chance.  Plus with the damage to our spillway, the pool won't hold water now.  Maybe after it's fixed.  Though I honestly don't think I could take on anything new at this point.

• toolbeltexpert
    toolbeltexpert Member Posts: 1,583
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    This is my wifes she shack 
  • Ed1937
    I really like that she shack. I was going to build something like that for my wife, but she got to the point where I couldn't be away from her long enough to spend that kind of time outside. It seems like everything I built was because of her.
  • Ed1937
  • Ed1937
    This landscaping island was my last project for my wife. I made it four years ago, and it has a concrete footing, so even though it might appear to be sinking on the far end, it is level within an eighth of a bubble from one end to the other. I need to get some more plants for it now.
  • Ed1937
  • Ed1937
    And this is a fountain I built for her about 8 years ago.
  • BethL
    BethL Member Posts: 838
    Ninth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions
    Ed, you have a lovely home and the fountain and island bed you built are amazing!

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more