Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

update on husband still in hospital

caberr
caberr Member Posts: 211
Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments
DH is still in the hospital but is being discharged tomorrow.  It's been 4 weeks 4 days (but who's counting).  He is now bed ridden and incontinent, since the hospital staff hasn't gotten him up.  I can't wait for him to get out of there.  They helped with medical issues but I know they don't have the training or time for an AD patient. I've been in everyday to be sure he eats something and drinks something. 

Tomorrow he is going to memory care. I found a facility with enhanced care about 25 minutes from me.  He will have private care 8-1 for the first 2 weeks to help him transition.  I was told that they will get him up in a wheelchair and have pt start right away.  My hope is he will get back to some kind of "normal". He has the strength and I am hoping he will be able to stand and eventually walk even if its with assistance.  I don't know how realistic it is but I can hope! 
It's been a long 4 weeks 4 days and I'm glad he will now be in a better place closer to home. I have mixed feelings.  I know he needs to be where there is professional help.  I already miss him not being home but going from the hospital to the facility is the best way to go.  

Comments

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    Caberr, I'm sorry it has come to this. But don't ever doubt your decision to place him. I know it was a very hard thing for me to do, and I missed her terribly too. But it was what was needed, just like your situation.
  • M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,723
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions
    Same here caberr.  will be thinking about you and hope it goes well.
  • jmlarue
    jmlarue Member Posts: 511
    100 Comments Second Anniversary 5 Likes
    Wishing you all the best. This has been hard on both of you. Perhaps, the MC will be good just the thing he needs to get up and moving again. For you, an opportunity to recharge your batteries and find a little time for yourself.
  • Joydean
    Joydean Member Posts: 1,498
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    Caberr, wishing you and your dh all the best. Four, nearly 5 weeks  in hospital has been hard on both of you. Take some time for yourself .
  • toolbeltexpert
    toolbeltexpert Member Posts: 1,583
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    Caberr that sure is a long time. I am impressed with your caregiving skills. Your doing a great job.  I hope there will be some improvement in the new setting. I'll bet your glad it's closer.
  • Jo C.
    Jo C. Member Posts: 2,916
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes

Warmest of thoughts being sent your way.  You have done an excellent job of being your beloved's carer and you have found a care setting which sounds amazing for his needs; job well done!

We will be hoping all goes smoothly and will wait to hear how you are faring.

J.

• Jeff86
    Jeff86 Member Posts: 684
    Fourth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

What a long and difficult month for you.  I am sorry.

The release from the hospital will be a good thing and the new MCF sounds very promising as the best solution.  Here’s hoping the transition goes smoothly and your DH improves in this better setting.

• White Crane
    White Crane Member Posts: 851
    Seventh Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes
    Caberr, such a long and difficult journey.  Praying the transition to MC goes smoothly and they can help him get up and moving again.  You have done an amazing job caregiving and I hope you can get some rest knowing your DH is being well cared for.
  • Sligo177
    Sligo177 Member Posts: 165
    100 Comments Second Anniversary

caberr,

It's such a long and exhausting road, isn't it?  The hospital did what they needed to accomplish.  Very hard to watch and wait, wishing for the next step to happen.  But I am so glad your LO will be moving on to more complete  care, and believe me, I understand about the mixed feelings.  You are doing the best thing for him and for you.  Please take care of yourself, I know that's easier said than done.  Rest, find things that make you smile.  Thinking about you.  Please keep us posted.

• caberr
    caberr Member Posts: 211
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments

Thank you all.  I am packing (slowly LOL) He is being discharged at noon which probably means 1.  I need to get his things over before and get his bed ready.  My 2 daughters will help me and when I need to move in more furniture our sons will be here.  

BTW.... he still thinks I have multiple boyfriends.  That bothers me and I know it is the disease, but it still hurts.   

• dayn2nite2
    dayn2nite2 Member Posts: 1,132
    Eighth Anniversary 1000 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes
    caberr wrote:

BTW.... he still thinks I have multiple boyfriends.  That bothers me and I know it is the disease, but it still hurts.   

And for this reason, going to a facility is best.  You don't want to have to worry about him killing you or listen to the ranting at home.  He will get involved in the more structured life at the facility and you will have peace in your home.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more