Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

2nd visit to see my husband

Today I got to memory care and they were playing bingo. He was sitting between two women and laughing with them. I used the time to straighten his room. He was glad to see me and I suggested a walk. He has slowed down in the past three weeks and we only did a short walk in the halls and courtyard. I think he has totally forgotten about the walks he used to take. He is totally in the moment. The CNA said it is hard to get him into bed at night because he doesn’t want to take off his layers of clothes. They are working on different approaches and it might take meds to help him relax.I told him I had to go to work and left him happily talking to his best buddy while they both sat on the couch.

Comments

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    I'm glad you're able to see him, Gig. It sounds like you still have some positive stuff going.
  • Joydean
    Joydean Member Posts: 1,498
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    Gig seems like you had a good visit. I was wondering if he doesn’t like taking off the layers of clothing is it because he is cold? I ask because my husband is always cold, I still have fleece sheets and blankets on his bed. I have to keep temp. Up on 80! It’s 105 outside with feels like 112. I have to have the ceiling fan on, two oscillating fans in my room and just a sheet! But all that other on dh’s bed to keep him comfortable. What if you add more covers for his bed?
  • Joe C.
    Joe C. Member Posts: 944
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    Gig, I am happy for both of you. One thought on the layering, could they reduce the amount of shirts available in his room and perhaps store additional shirt elsewhere in the facility so he only has access to a couple at a time?
  • Jeff86
    Jeff86 Member Posts: 684
    Fourth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

That’s great that he continues to seem to have made a good adjustment.

How are you doing?

• White Crane
    White Crane Member Posts: 851
    Seventh Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes
    Dear Gig, I'm so glad he is adjusting so well...for his sake as well as for yours.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more