Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

DW needs to see a dentist

Hi, my wife is stage 6 memory care in Fresno Ca. She needs to see a dentist in the area. Is anyone on here from the Fresno area that can recommend a dentist that treats elderly (she's 91) dementia patients?

Comments

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    Sorry, but I can't help with a dentist. Is this something that really has to be done? Do you think she will be able to follow directions from the dentist? And will she be able to tolerate it with little problem? If this is an optional visit, maybe you should consider all the pros and cons, then make the decision.
  • Rescue mom
    Rescue mom Member Posts: 988
    500 Comments Fourth Anniversary 5 Likes

At this point in dementia, most people do not go to dentists unless there is extreme pain involved.

But, regardless of that, doesn’t her facility make recommendations of dental experts in dementia in your area, or any other help dealing with that?

• Emmettlee
    Emmettlee Member Posts: 7
    First Comment First Anniversary

MC has not been a help, they say families use their own dentist.

DW is under hospice care so I have reached out to them. DW has two loose teeth but no pain, my concern is this could be the beginning of bigger dental problems down the road.

She has always taken such good care of her teeth I hate to see this but also realize it's probably a side effect of dementia with no solution.

Thanks for your replies

Lee

• douggieohare
    douggieohare Member Posts: 7
    First Comment
    Did you still manage to find a dentist in the area? It seems there’s no one around. Did you try looking for private clinics?
    It’s so unfair when people who take good care of their teeth get teeth issues. Dentistry is one of the most expensive medical domains, and I always try to be attentive to my teeth not to have any major issues in the future, but who knows what will happen to me too.
    One of my friends had to get a full mouth reconstruction houston because he lost most of his teeth in a terrible accident, which cost him a fortune. Thankfully, his insurance covered some of the costs.

• JJAz
    JJAz Member Posts: 285
    Seventh Anniversary 100 Comments
    Call the local Alzheimer's Association or one of the dementia support groups.  I was able to find a mobile dentist to come to DH's facility.  Good luck

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more