Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Alzheimer's, Aromatherapy, and the Sense of Smell

I posted this on the Caregiver's forum, too.

I cannot remember another time that I have been so impressed and yet disappointed in a book at the same time.  First, the title threw me off.  About 90 percent of the book is about Alzheimer's disease separate from aromatherapy (risk factors, measures to reduce risks, caregiving stragegies, raw food versus cooked food, etc.).  While not all the information and advice was right on target, much of it was.  Many of the points made in the book have been discussed at various times on these boards.  

The section on aromatherapy could have placed more emphasis on the anti-oxidant and anti-inflammatory qualities of essential oils.  This was quite surprising because the problems of oxidation and inflammation were prominently featured in other parts of the book.  My main disappointment, though, was that the author did not provide more information about the effects of aromatherapy in clinical (and other) settings and trials.  At the end of the book, the author wrote: "Essential oil applications are being used in hospitals, nursing homes, and memory care units around the world.  Spectacular results have been recorded in thousands of Alzheimer's cases."  Yet the author only provided one example in the book.

I would recommend reading this book.  Let me know what you think of it if you do.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more