Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Introduction(2)

I'm 63 and am in a clinical research study about memory loss.  I've had several MRIs and a PET scan that shows plaques and tangles in my brain. People (strangers) tilt their heads on their head on their side when I talk.  When I've asked why, it's always the same,  "You've already said that. Several times." I'm still in the grieving stage.  But I know that will go away.  Eventually, I will forget everything.  Sucks.  My paternal grandmother had this, but she always had a smile on her face.  I'm striving to be like her.  My mom has just gotten diagnosed with this also.  Weird. Anyway... I'm still in the grieving stage.  I realize that at some point I won't care anymore.  Definitely looking forward to that. My older daughter lives with me already.  She's not liking being put into the caregiver position.  Oh, well.... I don't like being in the caregivee position, either!  We all do what we gotta do, right?  Don't worry, I'm not this bleak all the time!

Comments

• Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Hello Sunrise!  I'm glad you posted.  There is a lot that can be done to make the situation be not so bad.  There is no cure yet, but there is treatment and things to do.  You are in an unusual position, caregiving your mom and your daughter caregiving you.  What arrangements are you making for yourselves?  Are you on memory meds?  They are helping me.  Please post back and tell me more about yourself. 

Iris

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney