Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Update on death certificate

Ed1937
Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Following the directions from the Indiana state website (thanks Jo), I called the funeral home. They told me they couldn't do anything because everything they did was right. They told me I needed to get in touch with the doctor, but there are few times when a doctor would be willing to change it. I told them I would call the doctor, and I would guarantee it would be changed. I was willing to do whatever it took.

I got in touch with the doctor, and apparently he understood that "No" wasn't an option I was giving him. He told me he would change it that night. Apparently it must be time consuming for doctors to change the cause of death. I talked to him the next day, and he did not get it done the night before, but he was in contact with Indianapolis (our capitol), and he was hoping to have it changed by the next morning (that's today).

I received a call from the funeral home this morning, and they told me it had been changed. Whoopee!

Comments

• Dio
    Dio Member Posts: 682
    500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes Second Anniversary
    Great news! Take the win.
  • Jo C.
    Jo C. Member Posts: 2,916
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes

Sir Ed, just when I think I could not admire your spirit more for all you have been through for such a long, long time with such strength of character and adaptability . . . you accomplish this, that is a great win.  It would have been easier to simply say, "Oh, okay," and let it go.  However, right is right and you are a person who respects "right."  This is also respect for your wife and others in various ways. 

You do not let things go and take the easy way out; this we know from all the long, long term dynamics with so many things you have had to deal with.    You have taught us alot and we have learned from you and are are still learning.  You have an amazing degree of experiential wisdom and kindly share it with others here.  Thank you for continuing to do that. Your input is golden.

Knighthood could be in order if in the UK; but we are not in the UK, so we hereby bestow the Knighthood title upon you.

Sir Ed, thank you for letting us know that we can get such death certificate issues adjusted if we simply stay the course.  "No" is not acceptable, Sir Ed style.

J.

• ImMaggieMae
    ImMaggieMae Member Posts: 1,015
    250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Care Reactions
    Good for you, Ed. I admire your tenacity in getting this taken care of. The reason the doctor originally had put down was just sloppy.
  • Joydean
    Joydean Member Posts: 1,498
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    Congratulations Ed for not giving up! Very proud you didn’t let them just get a way with their errors. Sometimes you just have to stand up for what’s right.
  • Joe C.
    Joe C. Member Posts: 944
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    Good going! Maybe next the doctor will do things right.
  • Jeff86
    Jeff86 Member Posts: 684
    Fourth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

You’re the man!

Well done, Ed.  Persistence rewarded, justice done.

• White Crane
    White Crane Member Posts: 851
    Seventh Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes
    Well done, Sir Ed!
  • M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,723
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions
    Good for you!  I guarantee he'll think twice the next time he fills one out.  Your good deed for the day/week/year.
  • toolbeltexpert
    toolbeltexpert Member Posts: 1,583
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    Ed well done. The truth is worth fighting for. Your still advocating even now.
  • Michael Ellenbogen
    Michael Ellenbogen Member Posts: 991
    Legacy Membership 500 Comments 25 Likes 5 Care Reactions
    Great Job!

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia