Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Committed

Whyzit
Whyzit Member Posts: 156
Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions 5 Likes
I watched Victoria Osteen today and she described being committed as “doing what you don’t want to do.” Boy did that hit the nail on the head for me as a caregiver. I can think of so many things I do but don’t want to. What don’t you want to do?

Comments

• toolbeltexpert
    toolbeltexpert Member Posts: 1,583
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Wow I bet there's gonna be a long list of posts.

I'll start with,

Medicate my wife because of side effects, place her because that changes the whole care scenario. 

All this thru the lens of a dementia perspective of course. I would call them the brown colored lenses cause they sure are not rose colored.

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    I placed my wife in MC. I didn't want to do it, and it was the hardest thing I've ever done. But it was the right thing to do.
  • toolbeltexpert
    toolbeltexpert Member Posts: 1,583
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    I will add another. I don't want to remember all the bad things that have happened, like my dw driving off in my truck last Saturday and having to call 911 or all the negative behaviors but they help me remember why she is where she is now and why I do the things I don't want to do. I would much prefer to forget those moments.
  • MaryG123
    MaryG123 Member Posts: 393
    100 Comments 5 Likes
    I don’t want to tell my DH that he needs to retire, or stop driving, or stop cooking, or stop mowing the lawn, or stop camping on the weekends…

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more