Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

First day of a new phase

My wife changes in sharp phases.  She doesn't seem to lose capacity and then get it back, more like one day something just changes, and that's the new normal.

This was day one of blanking out.  It happened in the shower.  We were talking and she just stopped moving and stared straight ahead with a blank look on her face.  Warm water running down her body, soap in her hand.  She was frozen and not responsive.  I washed her, rinsed her off, shut the water off, and stepped out.  She took the towel I put in her hands and then started functioning again.  Time in deep space...maybe four minutes.

So now, I'm in this place.

And people wonder why I don't make plans.  How about because I live in shifting sands?

Hang in there people.

Rob-

Comments

• Pat6177
    Pat6177 Member Posts: 442
    100 Likes Third Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions
    Rob, it’s possible that it was a seizure. You might want to check with her doc. I’m mainly going by what I have read here on this forum, obviously I’m no expert. Hopefully someone who has experienced this will chime in.
  • Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    I'm no expert either. Definitely take her to get checked out. Could be a seizure or possibly a TIA?
  • toolbeltexpert
    toolbeltexpert Member Posts: 1,583
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Sounds like a seizure, from personal experience.  I had seizures for a long time. My sister has seizures like you described. I have never witnessed a tia but from what I've read here that is also a possibility. I would have a MD check this out. I am so sorry for your shifting sands.

Hang in there Robert your doing a great job.

• Whyzit
    Whyzit Member Posts: 156
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions 5 Likes

Rob, My DH has seizures just like you described. The first one was while driving. He was frozen in place but his mouth was silently moving (called lip smacking). He crossed a six lane highway against the red light, ended up in a lumber yard parking lot after tearing the bumper off a pickup and then was stopped by an iron fence in front of a greenhouse. I was the passenger and everything happened so fast I didn’t have the presence of mind to react other than to scream. No one was hurt.  He had no memory of this occurrence. It was the last time he drove. 

In fact on another occasion he had one while having a physical. DH didn’t take his med because he thought he had to fast completely for that appointment. It was perfect timing to have the dr verify it first hand. (Petit mal seizure) I would recommend contacting your doctor immediately. Your dr may suggest a visit to the neurologist. There are medications for this. DH takes his twice a day and I make sure they are twelve hours apart because if the time is too far apart, the risk is another seizure. It has been well managed for several years now. Needless to say I manage his meds along with everything else now.

Best wishes to you.

• Joydean
    Joydean Member Posts: 1,498
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    Robert, I have no idea of what you are going through, but I just wanted you to know my prayers are with you and your wife. Shifting sand is a very good description of what this disease causes is a perfect description . Seeing her doctor seems like a good idea.
  • zauberflote
    zauberflote Member Posts: 272
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments 5 Likes
    Robert, my heart goes out to you. My first thought on reading of the "blanking" was, sounds like what my son's developmental pediatrician meant when she asked if he had "absence seizures" where he would just stare into space for a minute or two. He didn't, so I've never seen it. And I had a college prof who would do that in the middle of a lecture. My memory says we thought it was narcolepsy, but what does a bunch of 19-yr-olds know, right?

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more