Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

out of hospital and in memory care

caberr
caberr Member Posts: 211
Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments

DH was discharged from the hospital on Monday 7/11 and placed in memory care.   His first night was not good but he has settled down.  He is still unable to walk and spits out his meds.  He is on solid foods again, he had thrush in the hospital which prevented him from swallowing but is now eating and drinking. 

He was put on hospice last week.  He has a reclining wheelchair and we have taken him outside.  He still knows everyone and sometimes speaks clearly and makes sense but then other times he is mumbling or saying something over and over which makes no sense. 

Yesterday he had a slight fever.  Tested negative for covid but they will test him again today.  No UTI.  

I've had family staying with me on and off which is a big help.  I do go every afternoon to see him.  I know I need a break and hoping to take one this weekend. 

I am starting to feel a little more "normal" and when I think back to the past 4 years since his diagnosis, I can't believe how hard it really was to take care of him. I am happy I kept him home as long as I did. 

Every so often he still thinks I have multiple boyfriends which really hurts.   I know it is the disease and remind myself it is not him.  But sometimes I just have to walk away. 

Comments

• toolbeltexpert
    toolbeltexpert Member Posts: 1,583
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Caberr sounds like it's going as well as can be expect with this terrible disease, Glad you can visit. My dw may be on the same trajectory she is in hospital geripsych and they have started the referral process. Dw has asked me a few times about a (side woman as she put it.)  I hope things continue to improve in his new environment, Hospice can add a whole of help even in mcf.

Prayers for you. 

Just something maybe to lighten the mood. I remember when we lived in Walpole,  when people would ask where I lived, when I said walpole, they always asked, The prison?  Do folks still do that?

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Caberr, I'm glad you have family to help in this time of need. Hospice should be a major help for you, but you still need to unwind and get a little rest. I hope you can get that this weekend. It sounds like you have some positive things going on, and some on the negative side. 

My wife also thought I had a girlfriend, right up to the end. It was painful, as you said. In 64 years of marriage, she never questioned me until the last month or so.

• caberr
    caberr Member Posts: 211
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments
    Toolbeltexpert.. that made me smile.  Not as much anymore but it has happened to us as well.  It is now called Cedar Junction. Don't know where they got that name.  
    Ed, same here.  50 years of marriage and never once said anything like this.  

Hospice is great.  At first it scares you but then you realize how much help they are and there is always a chance of "graduating".   I still think he'll get up and walk one day but then I think I am being unrealistic.  It's hard to give up hope and I pray that God does what is best for him.

thank you both! 

• Joe C.
    Joe C. Member Posts: 944
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    caberr, I am sure the MC environment is a big relief after a hospital stay. DW’s recent hospital stay was traumatizing for her and she is doing so much better now that she’s back at the MC. I hope you can get some much needed rest.
  • DJnAZ
    DJnAZ Member Posts: 139
    100 Comments Second Anniversary

I really appreciated what you said, Caberr, and agree with every word!

I am starting to feel a little more "normal" and when I think back to the past 4 years since his diagnosis, I can't believe how hard it really was to take care of him. I am happy I kept him home as long as I did.

My wife was placed in MC two months ago directly from the hospital following a UTI. Her dementia diagnosis was over 2 years ago but I was her caregiver for more than three. Looking back I can't imagine how I did it but I'm glad she stayed at home with me as long as she did. I miss her every day.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more