Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

End of Life

My husband is actively dying.  He was placed on Hospice and remains in a Memory Care Facility.  Although I have only posted to this site twice, I wanted you all to know how much support and comfort reading your postings has given me.  He has had a diagnosis of mixed dementia for the last six years and he was at home prior to two respite stays with permanent placement in March 2022.  He had an admission to geriatric psych late June 2022 and returned to memory care with progressive decline.  God, I’m going to miss him but I hate this disease and what it did to him.

Comments

• Joydean
    Joydean Member Posts: 1,498
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    Reaching out, sending my sincere condolences to you and your family. It’s so hard to lose a loved one, but I believe their suffering is over so that’s a blessing for them. Praying for strength and peace for you and your family.
  • Reaching Out
    Reaching Out Member Posts: 7
    Second Anniversary First Comment
    Thank you for hearing me.
  • KathyF1
    KathyF1 Member Posts: 104
    25 Care Reactions Second Anniversary 10 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions

Praying for you during this difficult time. We’re all at different points in this journey. My husband is stage 5, it’s hard for me to imagine being in your shoes but I know I will be. 

Hugs, Kathy

• jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,768
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

Yes, you will really miss him. My husband died 6 years ago and I find that there are moments when the raw pain washes over me. 

You may also feel relieved. I did and was shocked. 

They say that the grief never lightens...we just get stronger carrying it. That may well be true but I promise you that the raw pain will lesson.

Yes, it is a horrible disease and we are forever changed from living with it.

I hope you will stay with us here. Many of us are in Stage 8, still finding support  and sharing what we have learned.

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,723
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions
    I’m so sorry. I have been so crushed by our mc experience (no one’s fault, just difficult dynamics) that I almost wish for a merciful death. Please know we are thinking about you.
  • Reaching Out
    Reaching Out Member Posts: 7
    Second Anniversary First Comment
    Thank you Kathy and jfc.
  • dayn2nite2
    dayn2nite2 Member Posts: 1,132
    Eighth Anniversary 1000 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes
    I'm so sorry.  I'll be thinking of you.  The death of our LOs is a mixed bag of emotions.  Some relief that they're not suffering anymore, some relief that we might get some rest, genuine sadness for the loss of our LO - it goes all over the place.  Whatever the feelings are, let them be what they are, and I do encourage you to take advantage of the resources hospice will offer you for grief counseling.

You are also very much welcome here afterward if you want to share what your experience is.  We all grieve differently and many of the people who may not be there yet find the posts from our fellow posters useful and helpful.
  • sandwichone123
    sandwichone123 Member Posts: 748
    500 Comments 100 Likes Third Anniversary 25 Insightfuls Reactions
    I'm so sorry to hear that, Reaching. Every offramp from this highway is so painful.
  • Kenzie56
    Kenzie56 Member Posts: 130
    100 Comments Second Anniversary 5 Care Reactions
    I am so sorry. I can't add much more than what has been said.  During this horrible journey, one wishes for a peaceful end, but when it comes, the grief almost swallows each and every one of us. I hope you continue to engage with us here.  We can still support one another.  Peace be with you! Again you have my sincere condolences.
  • Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    I'm so sorry for what you're going through. I just went through that four weeks ago today. This is a very hard time in your life. But he will be in a better place. I'm sorry any of us have to experience this.
  • Beachfan
    Beachfan Member Posts: 790
    Sixth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Reaching out,

My DH is not actively dying; he is in a MCF since November.  I feel as though I have been grieving his loss since his initial diagnosis, 12 years ago.  I have watched him slowly fade, fade away.  I think I am prepared for the final chapter in this journey; I am not prepared.  Stay strong; good folks here are praying for you. 

• piozam13
    piozam13 Member Posts: 72
    Third Anniversary 10 Comments

Reachingout,  I went through what you are going through a year and half ago.  It was not easy, but I'm feeling a lot better these days.  In hindsight, I felt it was a blessing - he's in a better place where there's no pain, and for me, I've been free to focus on myself.  I made a conscious effort to accept that he's gone, the past is past - and I am left alone to myself.  Now I feel, I am more fit, I find time to volunteer, make new friends while learning new stuff.  Please do not hesitate to reach out - I'm here for you.

• Mint
    Mint Member Posts: 2,679
    Eighth Anniversary 2500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    Reaching Out,  Thinking of you and your DH.
  • Joe C.
    Joe C. Member Posts: 944
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    Reaching Out, I am sorry to hear you have reach this difficult point in this journey. I wish you strength and peace of mind in the coming days.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more