Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Sleep Schedule

MaryG123
MaryG123 Member Posts: 393
100 Comments 5 Likes
Hi all and thanks again for sharing your experience with this newly!  My DH is in early undiagnosed dementia, probably stage two, progressing for about two years.  He has trouble sleeping at night, with restless legs and disturbing dreams.  We sleep together so my sleep gets interrupted too.  I’ve been trying to keep him from napping, thinking he would be more likely to sleep at night if he stayed awake during the day, but am about to give up and just let him sleep.  If he doesn’t nap he gets grouchy and anxious.  The other day he slept for about 18 out of 24 hours, and if allowed, he would usually take two one to two hour naps during the day.  He has used a cpap for years, and recently had a sleep study and a new unit.  If this is the dementia then I’m thinking I should just let him sleep when he wants to.  What do you think?

Comments

0609 Member Posts: 7
    First Comment

I am new to this forum as well.  My DH has been diagnosed with AD but also is currently in the MCI stage.  Thank you for posting about this as it’s an issue at my house also.  I’m looking forward to seeing any input on the subject.  Thank you so much for your post.  Wishing you well!

Dale

• Stuck in the middle
    Stuck in the middle Member Posts: 1,167
    1000 Comments Fifth Anniversary 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes

I let my wife sleep unless she has to be up for some reason.  She is asleep now, at noon, and has been for at least 13 hours.  I think she needs the rest, since she is sleepy and crabby on days I wake her "early" at 10 am.  I make her appointments in the afternoon as much as possible.

She has lost probably a half pound of brain tissue due to her disease, so I think the remaining couple of pounds has to work harder and gets tired.  Your LOs may be having the same experience.

• Joydean
    Joydean Member Posts: 1,498
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

I let my dh sleep all he wants. Why wake them up? If their body didn’t need the sleep they would be awake. My dh who used to never take a nap, now will tell me he wants to lay down for a while. I see no reason to prevent him from doing what he feels he needs to do. It’s way too hot to be outside ( today it’s already 107 and feels like 115) , so why just sit in front of the tv. 

Dh is late stage 5 and early stage 6. 

• Kevcoy
    Kevcoy Member Posts: 129
    Fourth Anniversary 25 Care Reactions 10 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions
    What I wouldn't give for my DH to sleep more.  As is now he gets up anywhere between 2am and 4am and starts shuffling around the bedroom to the bath to the window, stubs his toe on something, keeping me awake the whole time.  I try to convince him to come to bed and if that doesn't work I tell him to go into the other room.  Then when I get up and going I see him asleep on the couch.  I sometimes want to go over and wake him up but just let him be.
  • Kevcoy
    Kevcoy Member Posts: 129
    Fourth Anniversary 25 Care Reactions 10 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions
    What I wouldn't give for my DH to sleep more.  As is now he gets up anywhere between 2am and 4am and starts shuffling around the bedroom to the bath to the window, stubs his toe on something, keeping me awake the whole time.  I try to convince him to come to bed and if that doesn't work I tell him to go into the other room.  Then when I get up and going I see him asleep on the couch.  I sometimes want to go over and wake him up but just let him be.
  • Rescue mom
    Rescue mom Member Posts: 988
    500 Comments Fourth Anniversary 5 Likes
    My DH got his Alzheimer’s Dx 3-4 years ago, now solid stage 6 (maybe late 6 but whatever). He sleeps 18-20 hours a day. I let him (docs okd). For  one thing, there’s obviously much less brain there now (as said), and  he’s not causing problems like when he’s awake.
  • Elshack
    Elshack Member Posts: 240
    Third Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

My DH is at stage 6.5 . He sleeps until noon and goes to bed around 11 pm. Recently he has been getting up during the night and going into the kitchen and making coffee thinking it is time for coffee and a breakfast roll. Each time I would take him back to bed. This would happen a few times around 2 and 2:30 am 3 am etc. Duirng the day he would take several naps either sitting on the couch or even in his bed. I asked for advice from our internust and he told me to give him 10 mg of Melatonin which you can buy over the counter. I got the kind that dissolves on your tongue so he doesn't have to swallow a pill. 

Thankfully this has worked and he has not gotten up the past 3 nights which has been a real blessing for me. This may not work for you but this pill does not pose any bad side effects.    

• Elshack
    Elshack Member Posts: 240
    Third Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes
    Also meant to say the Dr said to give it to him an hr before his bedtime.
  • MaryG123
    MaryG123 Member Posts: 393
    100 Comments 5 Likes
    Thanks all, I really appreciate your feedback and experience.  I will let him sleep on.  We tried the melatonin a few years ago with no success, but things have changed and maybe we'll try it again.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more