Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Anyone else dealing with probable CTE?

MaryG123
MaryG123 Member Posts: 393
100 Comments 5 Likes

I think I've mentioned before that my DH probably has chronic traumatic encephalopathy (CTE).  He fell off a balcony at the age of five and ended up in the hospital with head trauma, had learning disabilities and behavioral issues in grade school, and had multiple concussions while playing sports in high school and college.  We've been a couple since he was nineteen, and I've witnessed him falling victim to mood disorders including depression, anxiety, and impulsivity, starting at about age 40.  He is now 67 and is showing signs of early dementia.  Over the years he's had excellent psychiatric care, and we are fortunate that medications have controlled his symptoms with minimal side effects.  He's been on lithium as a mood stabilizer, and wellbutrin and fluoxetine for depression and anxiety; and has an excellent therapist.  What we notice now are an inability to make decisions, short term memory loss, and confusion.  I am so thankful for the years of love and joy we've had together, especially since there was a time I thought I'd lose him to suicide.  But we can't help but worry about what the future will bring.  Does anyone else have experience with dementia due to probable CTE?

I found this helpful website this morning;

https://concussionfoundation.org/CTE-resources/caregiving 

Comments

• JDancer
    JDancer Member Posts: 454
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

My DH has what I call the trifecta- a history of head trauma, alcoholism and family history of dementia.

He's now 63 and in the late middle stage of dementia. 

He had mood swings and anger issues for many years, but I assumed it was the result of a difficult childhood- much of his head trauma was the result of child abuse. Now, in the middle of this dementia nightmare, I realize the head traumas probably did more damage than we knew.

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,723
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions
    Mary only indirectly, I have recenlty learned from my children that my ex-spouse (we divorced in 1995) is developing dementia.  There is a family history of Alzheimer's but also a significant history of mutliple bike wrecks with some head trauma despite helmets.  But I have no direct connection.
  • Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

I recall athletes who developed anger issues and aggression after CTE.

The best way to deal with the dementias, IMO, is to learn as much as you can and become proactive with legal and financial planning and other planning.  Don't be caught off-guard, if you can avoid it.

Iris L 

• MaryG123
    100 Comments 5 Likes
    Wow JDancer, the deck was sure stacked against your poor husband.  There is probably more of that than we know.
  • MaryG123
    100 Comments 5 Likes
    My DH has decided to sign up for a study at BU, and will be donating his brain as well.  He hopes at least some good might come from his experience.  I’m proud of him!  However, yesterday he came out in dirty clothes to go to work, and when I sent him back to change, he put on his swimming trunks.    Even when I showed him where his clean pants were, where they’ve always been, he looked confused.  I guess I’ll be laying out his clothes now too.  Sigh.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more