Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

I need advice please

My  DH has started wetting his pants...........not just a little.  Is this something that goes with this disease?   He just had a bunch of blood work so I know it's not a UTI........When I ask him if he's wet he says no but when I check he is...........I asked him can't he feel it???  He says no.........he's not embarrassed about it and I told him I'm not angry that it happens but it does make me mad when he just sits in it and won't change............he says he just doesn't care anymore..............sigh    Am I right in thinking he is just being lazy not wanting to change or is this just another piece of this wonderful disease??

Comments

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    I hate to say this, but it's just another piece of the disease.
  • bigfoot2you
    bigfoot2you Member Posts: 30
    10 Comments 5 Care Reactions
    Well,  I'll just buy him the depends that look like regular shorts and maybe I won't have to fight with him to use them..........
  • Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    Put them in his drawer, and take the other undies out. Don't let him see them. If he wets them too much, you might have to order better briefs. If you do, try parentgiving.com. I used them for over a year, and found the company to be very good. They have a large selection of incontinence products, and you can order samples for many (most?) of them. I think samples are three dollars, and they come with a pair of them in a package. They also have a phone number on the site where you can call to talk to someone about what might be best to order.
  • JJAz
    JJAz Member Posts: 285
    Seventh Anniversary 100 Comments
    Not only is incontinence a normal part of the disease, it is also normal that he doesn't notice that he is wet or dirty.  He's definitely not just being lazy.
  • Hoot619
    Hoot619 Member Posts: 342
    100 Comments 25 Care Reactions Second Anniversary
    You may have one heck of a time getting him to change them , with your help or by himself. My DW is in chair now and I can't get her to get up so I can change her.  It gets worse as time goes on. They don't understand. DW is not the person I married, this disease took that away. Think of it as a new born growing up ,BUT in reverse for our LO's. All they have learnt is going away.
  • Buggsroo
    Buggsroo Member Posts: 573
    500 Comments 100 Care Reactions Third Anniversary 5 Insightfuls Reactions

Anything to do with pee and poo, I feel I can answer this. Yes, this is part of the disease. My husband has both pee and poo in his depends. He happily pads along even though his depends are full. Being unable to feel when pee or poo are coming is part of this disease. I suggest you get him some good disposable briefs etc and lose the cloth underwear.

Believe me, I know how you feel, sigh, you get used to it. 

Good luck with this.

• Tealover
    Tealover Member Posts: 1
    First Comment

I have been dealing with incontinence issues with my DH for awhile now. I have tried the Depends and they do not always help. Worst time is at night. Often he does not know that he has to get up and go to the bathroom. Thank you for the advice relative to another brand to try. Some days and nights are better than others, but incontinence is an everyday issue. 

Need some ideas on Home Care. Hard to find anyone to come in on short notice. 

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more