Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Physical Weakness?

0609 Member Posts: 7
First Comment

My DH decided he wanted to dust in the den.  I did not stop him as any help is appreciated.  He has been able to do small chores around the house just fine until today.  While he was dusting the blinds his legs gave out on him and he fell.  He said his arms are weak too.  Has anyone experienced this weakness in the limbs with there LO?  Any input is appreciated.

Dale

Comments

• Jo C.
    Jo C. Member Posts: 2,916
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes

Hello Dale, and a very warm welcome to you.  While weakness can certainly be part of the dementia process as the disease advances, something with an onset as abrupt as this may be of a bit more concern.   This is something that may be best addressed by his primary care physician with an asap appointment letting the scheduler know what has happened.

It would bring to mind questions re whether he may have had a small stroke, or that there is an electrolyte  disturbance or other physical issues or possibly a medication effect, etc. - so many things to wonder about.  If he has a sudden worsening or resurgence of these changes, it may be that being seen in the ER setting would be warranted.

It is just hard to tell what is occurring as causation could be from multiple sources and best to know what may or may not be present with physician assessment of what is happening.

Let us know how things are going and how your DH is doing, we will be thinking of you and so hope all will be well.

J.

• sandwichone123
    sandwichone123 Member Posts: 748
    500 Comments 100 Likes Third Anniversary 25 Insightfuls Reactions
    My dh used to have this sudden weakness and fell several times. It lasted several weeks and then went away. He hasn't fallen in about a year now. I have no idea what caused it, as he has refused all medical care.
  • jmlarue
    jmlarue Member Posts: 511
    100 Comments Second Anniversary 5 Likes
    Is your DH taking a statin drug? It's notorious for causing muscle wasting and weakness.
  • Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    Dale, I had a stroke 27 years ago. When it happened, I just poured a cup of coffee for myself, but when I went to pick it up, it might as well have weighed 1,000 pounds. I couldn't lift it. Seconds later my legs went numb, and I somehow knew I was having a stroke. I was fortunate in that within about four or five months I had fully recovered, or very near fully recovered. I had no lasting problems from it. I agree he should be seen by a doctor. Maybe further episodes can be prevented.
  • Pam BH
    Pam BH Member Posts: 195
    100 Comments Second Anniversary
    Dale, that must have been quite a scare for you.  My DH has leg weakness. It became evident a year ago and has gotten progressively worse. He's used a walker since then. If he stands for more than a few minutes, his legs just give out and he goes down. It's not a fall, but he can't get back up because his legs have no strength.  I can usually help him to get up after half an hour to an hour by him crawling to a bed or chair and helping to lift him while he's pulling.  The reason it takes so long is he doesn't seem to understand what it means to crawl plus he gets distracted easily. The strange thing is that all of a sudden something in his mind clicks/connects and he just crawls like it's no problem. He had PT that gave him a slight degree more strength but not lasting, but PT was beneficial for showing him how to rise from a chair which he's retained - if prompted. I'm not sure if it's all related to dementia (probable VaD and AZ) or just aging. He's 90.  Hopefully your DH's weakness will only be a one-time thing, but definitely speak to the doctor about it.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more