Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Does this sound like early Alzheimer's?

Hello, 

My husband is 72, a heart patient, type 2 diabetes and has a sis who was diagnosed with Alzheimer's at 62.  Do these sound like early Alzheimer's symptoms to you?

*Started weird habit of sitting in his bedside chair in the morning. Will put on underwear, Tshirt and then pull shorts up to his knees and sit for sometimes as much as a half hour looking through his phone.

*He doesn't seem to comprehend details like he did before his heart surgery eightyrs ago but lately there has been more of a delay in his processing. And the problem solving we used to have no problem with has become more difficult.  E.g. deciding how to settle a plumbing issue. 

*The other day we were talking about dogs in general and he looks at me and asks if I met his dog that he had before we even met. Normally that wouldn't have even come up. We've had plenty of discussions about that dog and it was automatically understood I never met the dog.

One day we were driving a familiar road we frequently use and he asked if I was going in the right direction.

Its subtle things that I'm picking up on.

Thank you for your feedback.

G.M.

Comments

• Michael Ellenbogen
    Michael Ellenbogen Member Posts: 991
    Legacy Membership 500 Comments 25 Likes 5 Care Reactions
    NNo one can tell you here but you need to see a doctor ASAP.
  • Joe C.
    Joe C. Member Posts: 944
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

GMA, I in no position to provide a diagnosis but I can tell you some of the early signs/symptoms my DW exhibited before her diagnosis.

We took a trip to Martha’s Vineyard, for me it was my very first time to the island, my wife insisted we had been there before, actually She had previously gone to MV with her first husband.

DW always paid for EVERYTHING by check, early in the disease she could no longer figure out how to write in the dollar amount if it was anything much more than a round number (ex: no problem writing seventy-five dollars but if it was two hundred and fifty-six 75/100 she could not figure that out anymore).

DW was always conscious about her appearance when we went out but then she started putting on the clothes that she wore for gardening/yard work when we were going out to diner.

If any of this rings a bell I would discuss with his doctors.

• Buggsroo
    Buggsroo Member Posts: 573
    500 Comments 100 Care Reactions Third Anniversary 5 Insightfuls Reactions
    Maybe you might try writing down things that seem odd or that he has trouble with, if before he did them without thinking. Also look for mood changes and other anomalies that raise questions. You can then raise them with your doctor, who then can order tests, etc. Often the first symptoms can be very mild but they get worse over time. Please remember, there are different types of dementia. Good luck, please consult with a doctor.
  • jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,768
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    Maybe. Get to a Dr who will follow proper protocol for diagnosis.
  • GMAlzHelp
    GMAlzHelp Member Posts: 3
    First Comment
    Thank you.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia