Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Thanks JoC

I read your response to Stewart and realized that you were not only talking to him but some of it applied to me also.  I have a problem with doing my homework regarding a situation and then not acting on it.  I'll figure out what I need to do and then sit and spin my wheels.  I just don't take action.  I guess I'm afraid I'll do the wrong thing.  So, after reading your post yesterday, I gave myself permission to get busy and do some of the things that needed to be done.  It wasn't a pleasant feeling at first, but by the end of the day I felt less pressure and some relief from the stress hanging over me.  These weren't big things, but things that had been hanging over my head.  I made an appointment with my doctor, an appointment to get blood tests done, an appointment to renew my drivers license, I ordered some things we've been needing, and I cleaned out a cabinet where DH has been stuffing things that definitely need to be thrown out.  Thanks again for giving me the push I needed!!  I'm going to try to keep that momentum going and tackle a few more things today.  Thanks again!!!

Comments

• Jo C.
    Jo C. Member Posts: 2,916
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes

Oh my gosh; I wish I could get that result from myself; I will need to follow your example . . .that is a LOT that you working with.  Very impressive and also encouraging.

I had been deeply concerned on behalf of Stewart and the circumstances he is dealing with, I type very fast so as the thoughts spill out of my head, down through my speeding fingers and they land on the Post and it is really far too long. Sometimes there are many bits and pieces that though different, impact on the dynamics and  moving forward, so each bit gets thrown into the mix.

You are a very proactive person, and a wonderful example to all of us.  Now I must try and take a lesson from our dear, Faith,Hope,Love; you are an inspiration, thank you. I always enjoy reading your Posts and really like your avatar photo.

J.

• Faith,Hope,Love
    Faith,Hope,Love Member Posts: 191
    100 Comments 5 Likes First Anniversary
    Thanks JoC.  I never thought of myself as an inspiration.  I just type what's in my heart.  I'm glad you like the avatar.  I wanted to use something that reflected me.  I love quilting and most any kind of needlework.  It's my therapy and a way to escape the reality of DH's dementia when I can. The picture is a table runner I made for my niece for Christmas.  She's a very busy engineer and has been trying to start quilting.  She found a tulip pattern she wanted to try but never got around to it.  So, I thought I'd give her tulips for Christmas. Again, thanks for the gigantic push you gave me!!.  I have so  much to take care of around here.  But, I'm going to prioritize and break it down into manageable pieces.  I won't get it all done right away, but I'll at least be able to see progress.
  • Jo C.

You have a very kind and dear heart.  I am so sorry that FTD entered your world; my LO had a a behavioral variant of FTD - it was over the moon. Someone once described such a diagnosis as Alzheimers on steroids.  Have to say that was pretty true as things evolved. At the same time, my step-dad was diagnosed with Alzheimer's Disease as had my MIL and GMIL.  It was a lot of years with so much being up in the air and unsettled.  It was like being a butterfly with hiccups trying to manage which ways to go.  However; the FTD took most of the care, time, and trying to manage and you know how the word "manage" is a challenge with FTD. 

How wonderful that you do quilting; that is a real talent.  I love quilting but have never tried it and do not have much talent in that way.  The table runner is lovely and will I am sure become an heirloom.  Handmade items are pretty scarce  these days compared to days gone by. There used to be a huge quilting store in Orange County, Ca.  A big two story place. SO much to look at; the fabrics and trims and even a whole room of specialty buttons - as well as displayed hand made quilts that were works of art - I used to love to go there and look at things.  I also bought specialty buttons for my button box which I would let the grandchildren sift through and enjoy, but the box has now disappeared.  It is too bad as there were such interesting buttons in it.  Drats.  I know it wasn't the children who misplaced the box as they live out of state.  At least the children got to enjoy it for awhile.

So hope you enjoy your getting things done and at peace.  I find that when I finally do get some things done that I had been avoiding, it sure does feel good afterward.  One less  thing sitting on my shoulders so to speak.

Take good care, and let us know how you are doing,

J.

• Just Bill
    Just Bill Member Posts: 315
    100 Care Reactions 100 Comments Second Anniversary 25 Insightfuls Reactions
    I too read your response to Stewart and after reading my response was "Yes Ma'am !" No back talk , no yeah buts, just get to work. When someone with experience tells you what to do you just do it.  Your post spoke to me as well. Thank you JoC.
  • Buggsroo
    Buggsroo Member Posts: 573
    500 Comments 100 Care Reactions Third Anniversary 5 Insightfuls Reactions
    Um Jo, confession here, I felt like you were really talking to me, I was blushing as I was reading it. I have been hemming and hawing but have to start visiting homes to which one will suit my rather picky husband. I can be a procrastinator so thanks again for lighting a much needed fire cracker under me.
  • Jo C.

Oh dear Buggs, I did not mean to interrupt your day with more to do.  So concerned about TBE, and thus spilled over all thoughts . . .

It does seem though that this could be a win for both of you.  You are up to your eyeballs in alligators and cannot find anyone to help drain the swamp, and it just may be that he will thrive in a setting with more ability to socialize in whatever way he can, and have activity options as well as having structure and routine 24/7 by a bevy of available caregivers.

This then leaves you free to be his loving wife without the sleepless nights, haphazard ability to work days, and exhaustion not to mention the constant need for cleaning up poo messes in the kitchen, etc.

Are you in a position that you will not have to be concerned about the funding for the care facility?  So hope that will be so for you.

Let us know how it is going and what you find; sending best wishes for easy success to come your way,

J.

• Quilting brings calm
    Quilting brings calm Member Posts: 2,411
    500 Likes 1000 Comments Fourth Anniversary 250 Insightfuls Reactions
    Jo C-  my thank you is for  all you do on these forums / Information, support, moderation.  I confess I don’t know what a peer volunteer here does in total, but you sure do a lot!
  • rlpete
    rlpete Member Posts: 33
    10 Comments First Anniversary
    This sounds like me too. There are so many things I need to do around the house but sometimes after getting us both through the day I feel that is enough. Sometimes I get mad at myself for not doing more but it is hard. Both of us getting up, getting dressed, meals eaten, showers, etc. and I feel I don't want to do anything more. Sometimes I am tired but sometimes it is depression. I know that but keep pressing on for another day just like the last day.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more