Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Tomorrow to MC, any last advice?

Sligo177
Sligo177 Member Posts: 165
100 Comments Second Anniversary

This seems a small problem in light of the intense suffering many others are experiencing.  I apologize, but here I go.  Thank you in advance!!

DH will be going to MC tomorrow, after about a month in rehab.  Gout both knees, L-1 fracture, pneumonia.  Walking with a walker now and more steady on his feet, which is the goal MC wanted to get him started, I understand completely and now the day will come.

So - he's been up and down with behaviors at rehab, sometimes being OK with being there, other times very agitated, as he was yesterday, saying you've got to get me out of here, I'm going to die.  I have not told him about the move tomorrow, (to a "better rehab"). 

I am heeding the good advice from all of you in not telling him too soon!  Any advice for me if he is going on and on about getting out of there, today?  Dare I tell him anything or should I wait? 

Comments

• terei
    terei Member Posts: 570
    Seventh Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes
    Do not tell him anything til you are on your way to the car to go to ‘a better rehab’
  • Sligo177
    Thank you, terei!  I need to stick to the plan.  Tomorrow, on the way to the car.
  • jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,768
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    tell  him anything that makes him comfortable
  • Jo C.
    Jo C. Member Posts: 2,916
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes

Had to do this with my LO . . . kept a smile and said, "I am so glad to get you out of there to go to a MUCH better rehab; so much better,so much nicer . . . " despite my stomach with giant butterflies, and with my shoulders up around my ears, tied up in knots out of who knows what fear; not to mention lurking guilt . . . nervous as one could possibly be.  However, it went better than I thought it would.   If my LO had said "I want to go home," I  would have calmy said that the doctor ordered more rehab and said it was okay to go to the nicer rehab, not quite ready for home yet."  And then quickly changed the topic . .
     Oh; by the way, did you hear that . . . . " whatever works fast for a change of subject.

If I had thought about it a bit more, I could have had transfer by ambulance, but we went in my car.

You can do this; it will be all accomplished tomorrow probably by this time and you can exhale again.  I will be thinking of you and sending out warmest of thoughts your way.

J.

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    Sligo, one thing I would recommend is that the transfer be made by ambulance. That will make it much easier for you, and possibly for him also.
  • Sligo177
    It went perfectly!!!!  I arrived at the Rehab and told DH I had "finagled" a new, nicer rehab with his own room, and he was very open to it...the staff  and I got him out pretty quickly, and I drove him.  It was a 12 minute drive, I played Elvis songs, and the sun was shining.  No questions, no doubts!!!  He thanked me over and over, had not a care in the world.  Later, I slipped out while he was going to check out the activities with a nurse and then to lunch.  This was the happiest day both of us have had in over a year.  We will see what tomorrow brings.  But this was so good.  Thank you all for advising me to wait until the day, it is absolutely the thing to do.
  • jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,768
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    Yea... thanks for the update
  • Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    Sligo, that's great! It should work that way for everyone.
  • Marie58
    Marie58 Member Posts: 382
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments
    So glad the transition worked so well. Hope he, and you, adjust well to this new normal.
  • Jo C.
    Jo C. Member Posts: 2,916
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes

Sligo, I am absolutely delighted on your behalf; isn't that wonderful!  So hope the positives continue. Well done!

J.

• billS
    billS Member Posts: 180
    Third Anniversary 100 Comments
    Congratulations Sligo, I'm so glad the move went so well for you both. Have you been to visit him yet, or do you plan to stay away for a bit? I only lasted three days before I broke down and phoned my wife in MC, then a few days more before I went to visit her. Staying out contact seemed to help her quickly get used to the new setting.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more