Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Celebs talking about dementia/LBD

There’s a new (a couple weeks) video up by Robin Williams widow, Susan, a speech about Lewy Body dementia, which he had before his suicide. It’s breath-taking.

I can’t link, but if you search on YouTube for “Robin Williams widow Lewy Body” it’ll be in the first few listed.

It’s identified as her BioHive seminar talk (other old interviews are also  listed). She also is on national boards, and incredibly articulate and well-spoken. The video is long, 30 minutes, but covers a lot, not just him. The Dx  problems he —even as a huge star—faced are just unbelievable….

Also there’s video with Ted Turner’s daughter, updating on his LBD status. I didn’t even know he had it, butmit was announced 3-4 years ago. Apparently he is doing better, longer, than many—she and Robin Williams’ widow talked about “cognitive reserve”.

A little different, but similar, the musical Judd daughters are talking more, publicly, about their mother Naomi’s death by suicide a few months ago, after years of depression.

All these family members say public awareness is so important; they’re all speaking and taking action on issues that are obviously painful and hard, but they have a special platform, and audiences, and they’re using it.

Comments

• Jeff86
    Jeff86 Member Posts: 684
    Fourth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes
    Susan Williams is a tremendous advocate for LBD.  I attended an LBD fundraiser, pre-Covid, and she was searingly honest and forthcoming about how the disease manifested in Robin and affected them both.  Critical PR the world needs to hear.
  • Jo C.
    Jo C. Member Posts: 2,916
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes

I remember when it was announced that Ted Turner had LBD; what he said was, "I am just glad it's not Alzheimer's."  Sad.

J.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney