Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Moving from one state to another / Transferring Medicaid

Nowhere
Nowhere Member Posts: 272
Fourth Anniversary 100 Likes 100 Care Reactions 100 Comments
Has anyone gone through this process. I’m thinking of moving to another state. My husband qualifies and is living in a memory care home. I want to move closer to my children.

Comments

• dayn2nite2
    dayn2nite2 Member Posts: 1,132
    Eighth Anniversary 1000 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes
    Because the Medicaid program is administered by the state, there is no "transfer" of Medicaid from one state to another.  The requirements for one state can vary from another.

He qualifies in your current state, but does he in the new state?
  • Nowhere
    His income qualifies and has no savings to speak of. Perhaps his social worker or area for aging can help determine the process. He’s in Oregon and I’m considering moving him to Indiana. Indiana has something called vouchers from what I read.
  • Rescue mom
    Rescue mom Member Posts: 988
    500 Comments Fourth Anniversary 5 Likes

You probably know states vary enormously in how they handle Medicaid. 

Qualification “rules” differ. What qualifies in one state may not elsewhere. 

Even if you “qualify” that does not mean facilities are available. 

My state of Florida has six-figure wait-lists. Qualifying is very hard here, but then getting a room is a whole ‘nother thing. But the process really depends on the state. Just don’t assume that any state will do or be the same as another. 

And yes, they may have “vouchers.” Usually The real question is how do you get one, and then are places available. We also have vouchers, but few facilities accept them. 

• towhee
    towhee Member Posts: 472
    Seventh Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Likes 5 Care Reactions
    I believe you have to be a resident in a state before you can apply for medicaid in that state. I strongly suggest you contact the area on aging in Indiana, possibly an elder care lawyer in that state. You might not want to private pay an Indiana facility for what could be months.
  • Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    I am in Indiana. Where in the state were you considering moving to? I can give you the name of our CELA, who we've been very happy with. He has offices in Valporaiso and Indianapolis, as well as Lafayette. He is very thorough, and you don't have the feeling he has his hand in your pocket when you walk in the door.
  • JoseyWales
    JoseyWales Member Posts: 602
    Eighth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 25 Likes

I'm in Indiana, too. I haven't heard of vouchers, but that means nothing.

In my area of the state, there's no private pay before Medicaid starts paying in any facility that I contacted. We don't have the same kinds of problems with huge, long waiting lists like other states, although there were short wait lists with some facilities I contacted. I found several Medicaid facilities with openings (just none that wanted to take my husband because of behaviors).  BUT that could vary a lot depending on where in the state you're located. 

I agree with calling a CELA in Indiana to see what kinds of requirements you'd be up against.

• harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 4,365
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes
    Nowhere-

I would make an appointment with a CELA in Indiana and discuss this with them. I would also tour the available Medicaid options near where you'd be living. Medicaid can vary a great deal state-to-state and the quality of available placements needs to be looked at as well. In my state, MCF are not covered by Medicaid-- only SNFs.

HB
  • Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    harshedbuzz wrote:
    In my state, MCF are not covered by Medicaid-- only SNFs.

That's something important to know. MCs are covered in Indiana.

• dayn2nite2
    dayn2nite2 Member Posts: 1,132
    Eighth Anniversary 1000 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes
    My state also doesn’t cover memory care, SNF only.
  • Nowhere
    Thanks you all for your input. Ed, yes, please share your CELA’s contact info with me privately? If we move it would be to the Indy area.  I had hoped the state agencies would work together, but it sounds like it would be difficult with first requirement of being a resident before applying for Medicaid, waiting to be the approved, and finding a memory care center who would accept him. Perhaps though, I could sell  furniture and set up residence but not physically move him until state aid and memory care. Much to learn and consider.
  • harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 4,365
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes
    Nowhere-

I would fly out to Indy and consult with the CELA about how to best stage the move. They may even have some idea of which MCFs will accept Medicaid without 2-3 years of self-pay first.

The other piece is to think about how you will physically move him? His he capable of getting through a commercial flight with connections? Will you drive him yourself? Or will he require a medical transport?

HB

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney