Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Hello. Initials?

Hello everyone. New here. I'm already gaining so much help from the threads I'm reading. Thank you all!

But I need help with all the initials. I can't even figure out what DH stands for.

I got LO-loved one, and MC- memory care, but beyond that, I'm clueless. Thanks for helping someone "green behind the ears!"

Comments

• Davegrant
    Davegrant Member Posts: 203
    Sixth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Likes 25 Care Reactions

Welcome, On the right hand column there is a list of the initials commonly used. There is also a "see more" which expands the list. If you don't have it, I would contact alz.org.

Dave

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    Judy, welcome to the forum. Sorry you have reason to be here. The list mentioned above will get you through. But after 4 1/2 years on this forum, I still run into one every now and then that I'm lost with. Most of the time you can figure it out. If you can't, it's time to ask what it means.
  • Rescue mom
    Rescue mom Member Posts: 988
    500 Comments Fourth Anniversary 5 Likes

The site list others mentioned handles most dementia-related abbreviations. DH is dear husband, DW dear wife. (Maybe cheesy, but it’s quick)

We also may see other abbreviations used in general texting, such as IME (in my experience), IMO (in my opinion), IIRC (if I recall correctly), & more. 

I ask Google what those mean. Worked for everything so far. Be aware, though, Google doesn’t help so much with the dementia-related ones in the site list. 

• MN Chickadee
    MN Chickadee Member Posts: 872
    Tenth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions

If you are viewing this on a computer there is a list embedded in the website of commonly used abbreviations, the purple area just to the right of the forum text. It can be harder to view on a mobile device though. Here are some of the most common: 

DH Dear Husband 

DS Dear Son 
    DD Dear Daughter 
    DW Dear Wife 
    PWD  Person with Dementia
    MIL Mother-in-Law 
    FIL Father-in-Law 
    BIL Brother-in-Law 
    SIL Sister-in-Law  
    MC Memory Care
    SNF Skilled Nursing Facility
    AL  Assisted Living
    EOAD  Early Onset Alzheimers Disease
    VD  Vascular Dementia
    LBD Lewy Body Dementia
    FTD Frontotemporal Dementia
    ES Early Stage
    LS Late Stage
    DPOA Durable Power of Attorney
    CELA Certified Elder Law Attorney
  • Rick4407
    Rick4407 Member Posts: 241
    Sixth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Likes 25 Care Reactions
    Hello MN chickadee, you got the vast majority.  There's one that is not very common that I sometimes see.  YMMV your milage may vary - translates to: it works for me but may not help you as much.  Rick
  • Rescue mom
    Rescue mom Member Posts: 988
    500 Comments Fourth Anniversary 5 Likes
    Lol Rick. I’ve wondered about myself, given how often I *still* have to look up YMMV! It’s so applicable, but that’s one I just cannot remember.
  • sandwichone123
    sandwichone123 Member Posts: 748
    500 Comments 100 Likes Third Anniversary 25 Insightfuls Reactions
    I've been here a while but still I do a double take every time someone mentions very matter-of-factly that their spouse has VD and is whatever.... Takes me a minute to realize it's vascular dementia here.
  • Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

VaD is also used for vascular dementia.

Iris

• JudyJ608
    JudyJ608 Member Posts: 3
    Second Anniversary First Comment
    Thank you,  Dave. Appreciate it.
  • JudyJ608
    JudyJ608 Member Posts: 3
    Second Anniversary First Comment